REVIEW: Katadyn BeFree Water Filter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 25 Jul 2017
...and you're good to go, 4 kbIncredibly light and compact, Katadyn's new BeFree water filter is also child's play to use, finds Dan Bailey and family.

Read more
 Andypeak 25 Jul 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Looks like a more expensive version of the Sawyer Mini but won't last as long (sawyer is good for 100000 gallons).
 wilkesley 26 Jul 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:
Looks good for mountain use, but doesn't remove chemical contaminants like some others do (e.g. Travel Tap). Even in the mountains, I often collect water from streams at the bottom of the hill to drink on the way up. If it's anywhere near a farm, it could well have pesticide/nitrate contamination.

Edit: Had a quick look on Amazon and it seems more expensive than competitors.
Post edited at 14:14
 TobyA 26 Jul 2017
In reply to wilkesley:

> Looks good for mountain use, but doesn't remove chemical contaminants like some others do (e.g. Travel Tap).

Have you any idea how it does that? I did quite a lot of reading before I wrote this review https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=8426 and it seemed chemical contamination (maybe because its such a wide range of contaminants and some can bond to the water at a molecular level?) was actually the hardest thing to remove - expensive purifiers like the MSR one don't. So I wonder how a 30 quid filter system does?
 wilkesley 26 Jul 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Some information on their website at: http://www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk/technology.php

It does seem to have been tested by reputable labs. Given the calmed large number of sales, I think if it didn't work we would have heard about it by now.
 jonnie3430 26 Jul 2017
In reply to TobyA:

It looks like they have a tertiary stage of some sort, like granular activated carbon (GAC) that will adsorb the chemicals, whereas the filter you reviewed just had the membranes.

Out of interest, how do you know if some of the membranes have failed? I would assume that as it gets used a lot, the membranes start to clog and some may burst under pressure, letting it pass dirty water.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...