Crag / walking pack advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Yonder 24 Jul 2017
Looking for a lightweight but durable rucksack in the 30-50L range that's comfortable enough for all-day hiking / weekend trips away with lightweight camping gear, and can also serve as a crag and general do-everything sack. Nothing overly technical, but needs to be tough enough for scrambling around, brushing against rocks etc. Any recommendations? I like the look of Aiguille's range.
 Fraser 24 Jul 2017
In reply to Blue Yonder:

There have been a lot of comparisons / reviews on here over the years which might help:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/list.php?q=Rucksack

My own preference is the Lowe Alpine kit which I rate highly. Think it's their Alpine Attack 45-55L which I have just now and is a great sack.
 BnB 24 Jul 2017
In reply to Fraser:

> My own preference is the Lowe Alpine kit which I rate highly. Think it's their Alpine Attack 45-55L which I have just now and is a great sack.

Seconded. The Mountain Attack is my cragging pack (some pack but more useful pockets). To be fair I dropped the Alpine Attack for winter in favour of a more lightweight set-up. But for a one pack does all, either of the Lowe packs will do the job(s).
OP Blue Yonder 24 Jul 2017
And these Lowe 'Attack' packs are comfortable for hiking/camping too? Both seem to have been through a number of incarnations over the years, and the present versions are pretty light. How do they compare to previous versions - has there been a stand-out pack in this range in recent years (I can wait around for a used one if need be)? There are now the Lowe 'Ascent' packs too.
 Fraser 24 Jul 2017
In reply to Blue Yonder:

Not used it for camping I'm afraid and is the first LA one I've owned so I can't compare to earlier models. I think I had 8 sacks of varying sizes and purposes at one point and this is definitely the most comfy and versatile.
 Stew1803 01 Aug 2017
In reply to Blue Yonder:

Lowe Alpine Mountain Attack for me 35-45litres, super comfy, light enough, I use mine for camping/hiking, travel etc. plenty space for a 2-3 nighter (for me anyway)
 Connorh 01 Aug 2017
In reply to Blue Yonder:

I've had the mutant osprey 38 now for about a year and a half,

Its really good, used it for bagging munro's, multi pitch climbing (although slightly unwieldy) and cragging. Material is quite tough as well. Can also be compressed really tightly.
 Oliver Houston 01 Aug 2017
In reply to Blue Yonder:

My wife has a 28 l grivel pack which we rate, it's very durable and the quick access zip down the side is really useful (I think some Lowe Alpine bags have this). Obviously larger would be necessary for camping.

Although I think we only got it because of a deal, otherwise might have been super expensive.

angry pirate 01 Aug 2017
In reply to Blue Yonder:

I love my Lowe Alpine Alpine Attack pack for cragging/winter climbing duty but its simplicity of design makes it less good for mountain walking / scrambling etc.
I picked up an Osprey Talon 33 last year which is excellent as a do it all pack, though it fails two of your original criteria: simple and hard-wearing.
If I was mainly climbing I'd go with the Lowe Alpine; mainly walking, the Osprey.
As is, I like the features of both for their specific purposes enough to invest in two packs. If I had to buy only one, I'd go with the Osprey.
 radddogg 02 Aug 2017
In reply to Blue Yonder:

I've got the DMM Vector. As a trad sack I doubt there is anything better on the market. It would work well as general purpose sack too.
In reply to Fraser:

Good call. This comparison review of 35-45 litre bags is probably the most relevant: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=8649
 HammondR 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Blue Yonder:
I have an Aguille bag. Tough and practical, it will more than likely outlive me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...