North East England Climbing Guide - Should I sell It?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 23 Jul 2017
I know these guides are really hard to find now, but I never use it so was wondering whether it's time to admit it and part with it. Question is, how much do I ask for it? Fiver? £20? Knowing my luck I'd sell it for a quide and see kit on Ebay next week for much more.
Or should I even sell it at all?
Cheers
Frank
 Big Ger 24 Jul 2017
In reply to Frankie boy:

> Knowing my luck I'd sell it for a quide and see kit on Ebay next week for much more.

Slavery is frowned on...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quide

OP Frankie boy 24 Jul 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Well spotted there, although I can confirm it was just a spelling mistake, which is rather less exciting I must admit.
 Simon Caldwell 24 Jul 2017
In reply to Frankie boy:

Although they are hard to find, as far as I know they aren't highly sought after, possibly because all the information is available online complete with updates.
 leland stamper 25 Jul 2017
In reply to Frankie boy:

Just dump it and get a new Frome Valley sandstone guide, out on Friday, from Dick's climbing, Bristol.
 Bob Bennett 25 Jul 2017
In reply to Frankie boy:

I dont know which edition it is you are talking about, but we (Smart Boys Publishing) put a lot of effort into producing this despite opposition from the likes of Cordee ( not under the current owners I hasten to add).
I think Steve Crowe would have continued the series ( I left the area after the last guide) but for the Rockfax Northern England guide.
You have done much to promote this area, and in my view ,there is still room for a stand alone N.E.England guide, perhaps the tradition will be revived!
We were told they would not sell, well they were off the shelves like greased lightning!
OK this is a bit off the point about selling your copy but it would be good to see another edition produced
 Simon Caldwell 26 Jul 2017
In reply to Bob Bennett:
I don't remember ever seeing anyone with the NE Rockfax while climbing on the Moors - most people either have the last Smartboys guide or printouts from the climbonline website. I'd have thought that the online guides have had more of an impact than Rockfax.

PS A new guide is in preparation (not by me!)
Post edited at 11:05
OP Frankie boy 27 Jul 2017
In reply to Bob Bennett:

Thanks for the info. Its good to hear that there might be a new pone in the pipeline, and I know there's a bouldering guide now out for the area.
Personally I would love to see a new guide out, certainly there seems to be tonnes of rock in the moors. In particular, it seems that what there is in Swaledale and the Pennines hasn't been very well documented and it would be great to see them promoted more too, regardless of how out of favour they are.
I know there are guides available online but I reckon an actual guidebook is always better than piles of printouts.
Anyway, fingers crossed for a new one some day.
Cheers
Frank
OP Frankie boy 27 Jul 2017
In reply to Bob Bennett:

Thanks to Smart Boys for the guide and hard work put in. Personally I am not much of a Rockfax fan and would happily buy the comprehensive guide any day, but hey, that's just me.
 Bob Bennett 27 Jul 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Just out of interest Simon,who is doing it?
Removed User 28 Jul 2017
In reply to Frankie boy:

Hi there. Of course, sell it. By coincidence, and whilst I heard there is a new guide in the pipeline, I have recently been looking for a copy of that guide in the interim. If it's the latest (2003) version and in a reasonable state I'll start the bidding at £10? Scouts promise it won't end up on eBay (at least not for many years)!

ScottieBoy
Removed User 08 Aug 2017
In reply to Removed Userie Boy:

I'm serious..are you selling?
> Hi there. Of course, sell it. By coincidence, and whilst I heard there is a new guide in the pipeline, I have recently been looking for a copy of that guide in the interim. If it's the latest (2003) version and in a reasonable state I'll start the bidding at £10? Scouts promise it won't end up on eBay (at least not for many years)!

> ScottieBoy

OP Frankie boy 10 Aug 2017
In reply to Removed Userie Boy:

Hi Scottie, sorry for delay, I've been in the lakes. As it happens I have actually put it on eBay. It's only ot about 12 hours left but if you bang in "North East England Climbing guide" you'll find it, and you'll probably get it for your £10.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...