Trek Madone 2016 problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TrekGib 22 Jul 2017
My Trek Madone 9 2016 vibrates violently when descending at speed in windy conditions especially when braking. Does anyone have any experience of this or any explanation?
 gethin_allen 22 Jul 2017
In reply to TrekGib:

Did you buy it new from a dealer? The reason I ask is that there were some dodgy Chinese knockoff treks going around and the main thing a reviewer noted about the knockoff one he tested was really bad speed wobble.
If that's all fine check your wheels and tyres for lumps and buckles and if still struggling take it to the shop you bought it from and warranty it. The trek warranty is pretty good.
 Yanis Nayu 22 Jul 2017
In reply to TrekGib:

Disc or rim brakes?
 Greasy Prusiks 22 Jul 2017
In reply to TrekGib:

Are the wheels round?

Sounds stupid but if the wheel is out of true it could cause symptoms like that.
 webbo 22 Jul 2017
In reply to TrekGib:
Gripping the bars too tightly, too far forward. Sit further back and brace a leg against your top tube.

nniff 22 Jul 2017
In reply to TrekGib:

Wheel wobble. Not uncommon. I think the forums on road.cc had a lot on it in the past week or so. Various theories as to what causes it/what it is, but if you take your front wheel off, spin it and then twist it, you can get a very similar effect (gyroscopic wobble) which to my mind is very similar. To stop it, ease off your grip on the bars and rest one or both knees on the top tube and grip it. If that doesn't work, one foot down, one knee on the top tube and force a twist into the frame, with a bit of back brake too. Keep your weight in the saddle, else it will all go wrong quickly.
 Siward 22 Jul 2017
In reply to nniff:

http://road.cc/content/feature/219888-how-cure-speed-wobbles

Yeh it may be this. Unlikely to be the bike at fault
 Greasy Prusiks 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Could also be the wheel bearing. Can you feel any play in the hub?
 sleavesley 22 Jul 2017
In reply to TrekGib:

Check your headset as well. It may well be that. I have serviced a headset as the bearings were badly corroded which I think was an issue with some of the treks used in all weathers. The replacement bearings are not cheap either about £46 from memory!!
TrekGib 22 Jul 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

Genuine Trek. I'll take it to Dealer for checking. Thanks.
TrekGib 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Rim brakes
TrekGib 22 Jul 2017

I'll check the wheels. Thanks.
TrekGib 22 Jul 2017

Will check, thanks
TrekGib 22 Jul 2017
In reply to sleavesley:

I think this may be the cause. I'll have to take it to the Dealer to check.
 Yanis Nayu 22 Jul 2017
In reply to TrekGib:

When I've had worn headset bearings I could hear the graunching and feel the resistance as I turned the bars. Sometimes if you press down on the bars it kind of rebounds too.

As others have said, how you ride has an effect. GCN have a video on speed wobble. I've had it while shivering on a long, cold descent.
TrekGib 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Siward:

That was an amazing eye-opener to watch those videos. Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...