ML Log Book Question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adrian Daniel 22 Jul 2017
Evening All.
I'll start out by saying I've searched for this info before asking the question and failed to find an answer. So hopefully one or two of you will know.

I'm going through the stages of filling out my logbook prior to the training stage for ML.

A lot of the days out I have done, and do are scrambles.

Now when I go to log these in my logbook under the activity of 'scrambling' then go to select the type the only options are Summer or Winter, no 'QMD'.
Where as if I log them under the activity of 'walking' then the type opens up to many including 'QMD'

So I guess my question is which should I be logging them as? Personally I think 'scrambling' but they do fit all the aspects of a QMD, planning, navigation, length of time etc. But if i do this am i right in thinking that they then will not be taken into account to your total QMD's.

Thanks,
Adrian.
 Hans 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Adrian Daniel:

Hi Adrian

I've gone through the ML scheme so I feel pretty qualified to give you some advice. Obviously ringing up MTA is also an option; they're always happy to help out with things like this.

If I were you, then I would mark them down as QMD's only if you have been scrambling without using rock climbing equipment, such as carabiners, harnesses, belay devices etc. That would be harder scrambling and not really part of the ML syllabus.

On my consolidation and assessment, I did a lot of scrambling, mostly looking for obscure features and aircraft wrecks to improve my nav and hill skills. This came in handy on the ropework section of the assessment which I felt confident with and also the managing a group on rough ground scenarios. You will likely find that you get more out of your course from your scrambling experience than if you had not done that.

If you have been alternating leads with a partner on grade 2 scrambles or above, for examples, then that's a scramble. But assessors will take all experience into account, and it's certainly not detrimental to have all of that to show to them. And if you wish to proceed with higher awards afterwards you'll already have a solid experience of movement on rock and advanced mountain skills. So log it all as QMD's if they're without climbing kit, submit, if there are any questions have a chat, sort it out, and enjoy your training. Sounds like you're ready for it at least.

Hans.

summo 22 Jul 2017

Log everything.

A scrambling day may not qualify in duration etc.. But you are building experience, route finding skills etc.. that ability to spot a easy line through rough rocky steeper terrain with an ML group is just as relevant as the skills to tackle a scramble. The only way to develop these skills is to get out there; so logging the routes is relevant.

The idea with a logbook isn't to only log routes which qualify, but that you log everything and among them there should be a given number of QMDs, camps...
 GrahamUney 22 Jul 2017

Hi.

A QMD would cover the whole day, whereas many UK scrambles are only likely to take a few hours out of the whole day. My advice, from someone who works on ML training and assessment courses, would be to log them twice. Log the QMD as the whole day out, then do the scrambles section as well.

Hope that helps.

Graham Uney
OP Adrian Daniel 23 Jul 2017
Cheers all. Thanks for your advice. I know what I'm doing with it now.

Greatly appreciated.

- Adrian

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...