Best van/camper for climbing & travel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BC 19 Jul 2017
Yeah pretty much what the title says! Anyone recommend anything in particular?
 gribble 19 Jul 2017
In reply to BC:

My van, but then I'm biased and you're not having it.
 1poundSOCKS 19 Jul 2017
In reply to BC:

Probably depends if you just go away for the weekend, or if you're planning a year travelling around Europe.
 snoop6060 19 Jul 2017
In reply to BC:

The biggest one you can realistically get to the crag. Or a T5 if you're just looking to pick up chicks. It's a tough choice admittedly.
 ian caton 19 Jul 2017
In reply to BC:

T4 westfalia
 knighty 19 Jul 2017
In reply to BC:

The humble citroen relay. Then you can buy a cheapie chrome letter B from halfrauds, take off the R.

Voila. A Citroen Belay.
 mp3ferret 19 Jul 2017
In reply to BC:

I've been looking into this a little too and for me ( with family and loads of other gear ) the VW Crafter or Merc Sprinter look like the best candidates.

There's some stunning conversions and if you go for the long wheelbase high top - they are huge - like a house on wheels (almost) and still with a massive storage area at the rear.

Marc
In reply to BC:

Depends on how vertically challenged you are and if your usually alone, I have a short wheel base transit connect (the front seat goes totally flat if your not quite as short) and its more than big enough, really easy to park and discrete. I have a good size single bed, insulation and still have room to move around and a bouldering mat, and all my other guff under the bed. Also easy to buy parts for and pretty cheap.
 Cheese Monkey 20 Jul 2017
In reply to BC:

4 wheels
aultguish 20 Jul 2017
In reply to BC:

Vauxhall Combi Crew Van.
3 fold flat back seats, so space for mates and kit
Tailgate rather than rear doors, which means I can stand underneath when cooking outside and stay dry.
1.7cdti engine, so the speed and load carrying ability is there when you need it and only £140 a year tax.
Previous van was a wee Citroen BillyBingo which I was happy with but much prefer the Vauxhall
 betathief 20 Jul 2017
In reply to BC:

I have a mercedes sprinter, high top, medium wheel base, and live in it full time. High enough to stand in, small enough to fit in normal parking spaces compared to the long wheel base and also has everything inside that I need, bathroom, kitchen, bedroom.

I spent a month in a mazda bongo a few years ago, and the anger monkeys were certainly running around due to lack of space. Although for weekend trips it was fine.
 ablackett 21 Jul 2017
In reply to BC:

I'm floggin my T5 basic conversion. Have had it for a couple of years, loads of weekend trips and a 5 week trip around europe. I would avoid a full conversion as there isn't enough room for all the kit. You can see the advert in the premier posts forum.

Advantages of a T5 over some of the other vans mentioned is that they hold their value, are a great size for sleeping/cooking in and there are loads of second hand accessories such as bike racks available. Also, you will fall in love with it, I can't explain why, you just will!
 routrax 21 Jul 2017
In reply to BC:

I'm thinking of going the Doblo/Berlingo/Partner route and knocking up something like the Space Camper Module (google it).

It's still a car in terms of tolls and insurance etc. These cars are really cheap used and big enough for 2 to sleep, or 7 people to sit in and get drunk when the weather is too bad to climb (tested with a friends Doblo!)

I think it depends on how much ££££s you want to spend.

Pkrynicki1984 21 Jul 2017
In reply to BC:

Hardtop LWB Land rover Defender Puma .... perfect.
 ring ouzel 21 Jul 2017
In reply to BC:

Looking into this too. I like the VW Crafter but the ultimate van for me would be a Mercedes Sprinter 4x4. Common on wind farm sites where I work but rare to find for sale.
The problem with all these vans is rust. Maybe buy a new van and look after it. Looking at getting the back carpeted and insulated. Take out the bulkhead. Add proper off-road tyres. I don't want a proper camper van as I don't think I'd fit bouldering mat, climbing gear, SUP, fat bike and paramotor in there. Not looking to live in it for long periods but probably three nights a week three weeks out of four.
OP BC 26 Jul 2017
In reply to knighty:

That's a great idea!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...