Can you recommend some hard wearing trail running shoes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TMM 19 Jul 2017
What are people using?

I run on well compacted woodland trails that get muddy in winter, lots of tree roots, open moorland and grass.

I like Inov8 shoes but the last three pairs have had unsatisfactory resilience. The first two split around the toe box where the foot flexes and my current pair will be returned after three of the eyelets failed after just two months of use.

Asics have been OK but the sole is not as aggressive and positive as the Inov8 shoes.

Any recommendations?
 vscott 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TMM:

Find Salomon trail/fell shoes have generally much better build and longevity - a bit more expensive but don't fall to pieces.
OP TMM 19 Jul 2017
In reply to vscott:

Thanks, I've always found that Salomon shoes are too narrow for me.

Just noticed that Inov8 have updated their eyelet design. Hate the idea of spending more money with a company that produces such a poor quality product, even if they do perform nicely for a limited amount of time.
 ianstevens 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TMM:
I'd also vote for Salomon, but if they don't fit then onbiously that's no help.

Ever since Inov8 stopped focussing on trail running and started marketing their products for obstacle races and crossshit, they've gone downhill with regards to quality.
Post edited at 11:42
 wbo 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TMM: tried cleaning mud and grit off the shoes. Grit and peaty mud kill uppers in my experience.

I'm in the Salomon camp too despite fairly wide feet - Ultra 5 SG's
OP TMM 19 Jul 2017
In reply to wbo:

> tried cleaning mud and grit off the shoes. Grit and peaty mud kill uppers in my experience.

Always rinse my shoes in winter to get rid of the crud.

I actually purchased my current roclite 280's in March but I 'saved' them until after the mud season and only started wearing them in June. They's hardly seen a puddle. Three eyelets on the left shoe have all pulled through the upper material.

Hoping that there are some other options other than Salomon out there.

tony 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TMM:

I'm in the Salomon camp too. It might be worth trying different models - I have quite wide feet, and I can find Salomon models to fit.

Apparently Scott shoes are quite wide as well, but are hard to find in the UK - the only place I know that sells them is Castleberg Outdoors in Settle, which is a long way from where you are.
 drunken monkey 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TMM:

I use Saucony Exodus - not the lightest but decent level of cushioning which I like in a trail shoe.
 GarethSL 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TMM:
Another shout for Salomon, I have been using a pair of speedcross 4's for the last year, the soles have worn very well and the shoes are extremely comfortable over long distances. I also like the lacing system, it can be a bit tedious if wearing gloves, but when tightened and tucked into the front lace the system remains tight and has so far never come loose.

Just invested in the gore tex version for rainiy morning runs.

Point to note though, they do require a good break in period (and I mean a good break in period) as the materials in the toe-box are stiff and sharp out of the box and will cheesegrate your feet. After however, they become extremely comfortable. Thoroughly recommend them.
Post edited at 12:35
 yodadave 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TMM:

also in salomons here but i also have some Lasportivas that I really rate and have held up well. But the model I have are even narrower than my salomons. The wife has moved from salomons to Addidas terrex range for a wider fit. She seems to like them.
 Rob N 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TMM:

The Salomon Speedcross Vario has a wider toe box than the normal Speedcross.

I have both but find on long runs my toes start rubbing in the Speedcross 3's, but never had any problem with the Varios.

I wouldn't say they are as wide as the Innov8's but for sure have more room and stretch than the 3's
 Guy Hurst 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TMM:

The Scott Kinabalu shoe is wide and has excellent grip. I've given a pair a lot of hammer over the past year or so and they've stood up amazingly well. They're not the easiest to find, but a few outlets stock them, I think including Cotswold.
 goose299 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TMM:

Just to counteract the positive Scott experiences, I returned a pair after 140 miles of easy ish running as the rand was peeling.

My second pair are now falling to bits after 90 miles.

The local dealer I bought them from was also so horrendous with the return of the first pair, I'm currently looking at buying a new pair.
Was considering Innov8 so will watch this thread with interest.
 mbh 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TMM:

My not recommendation, given your requirements, would be Mizuno Wave-this, Wave-that shoes. I have wide feet and they fit me well, whereas I find Inov8s or Salomons to be too narrow, but the uppers of the last two pairs I have had have started to fall apart at about 100 miles, in similar terrain to you, with big rips and holes.
 The Potato 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TMM:

id say la sportiva are quite hard wearing in general
 wbo 19 Jul 2017
In reply to The Potato:yes, but very narrow.

The different Salomon shoes can fit very differently. Wings for example are very narrow , sense and speedcross models much wider. I think you need to try some of these options on. Saucony peregrine are very good
 petestack 19 Jul 2017
In reply to mbh:

Not my experience when I've found Mizunos as hard-wearing as anything and am particularly pleased with the Wave Mujins I've been wearing this spring and summer. And, yes, I give them a hard time on Highland hills and trails!
 yorkshireman 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TMM:

I'm a big fan of Brooks Cascadia - with a small blip in the 10s version (we're on 12 now) that caused some ripping in the upper (but Brooks acknowledged the problem and replaced my shoes free of charge) they're pretty solid. Most of my running is on alpine trails with lots of hard loose rocks so the soles take a battering but I've regularly got up to a 1000km out of a pair.

They're not the lightest shoe in the world and I don't race short events in them but they're comfortable for long ultras.
 TobyA 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TMM:

Adidas kanadia are pretty cheap and have good grip. I actually walk more than run in mine, but they seem pretty hard wearing. They've got tabs on the back so they work well to clip onto your harness when climbing too!
 The Potato 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TobyA:

The tread is good but the uppers are fairly average
 TobyA 19 Jul 2017
In reply to The Potato:

OK, mine are still in good nick although they are only a year old - although they've gone up to quite a few mountain crags in that time as well as lots of walking in to Peak crags.
 angry pirate 19 Jul 2017
In reply to TobyA:

I'd second this. I've worn through two pairs doing a combination of off road running (I'd be stretching the truth calling it fell running) and walking.
The soles eventually wore enough to make them unsafe but the uppers are still in great nick.
Neither pair owed me anything when I finally replaced them. I only haven't bought a third pair as the current colours look fugly so I'll wait till the next overhaul.
 mbh 25 Jul 2017
In reply to petestack:

Well that's good to hear. Mizunos certainly fit me well and I like the cushioning that means that they're OK for the odd bit of tarmac I might need to do. I seem to be ripping everything early at the moment. My nth pair of Brooks Adrenalines got big rips along the sole at around 100 miles too, despite being used mainly on road, though I have eked them out to over 600 miles. A few times I have got 1000 miles out of them. Might try the Mujins.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...