Camping near Portland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PanzerHanzler 18 Jul 2017
Any recommendations for group friendly campsites that don't require a second mortgage to stay near Portland. Doesn't have to be dess ress possibly even a friendly farmer who'll let a small number use a field.

Appreciate the area is a tourist trap so attracts bonkers rates.

Thanks in advance for any help.
 The Ivanator 19 Jul 2017
In reply to PanzerHanzler:

If you are going in August then try to get into Eweleaze Farm (just East of Weymouth) - http://eweleaze.co.uk/ a big site, but has some quieter areas and a friendly vibe. They allow open fires and the site has its own excellent beach (with views across to Portland). It does get booked up though and only opens for 4 weeks a year.
2017 prices:
Adults
£8/night Sunday to Thursday nights, and
£16/night for Friday and Saturday nights (and Sunday of the bank holiday weekend)
Vehicles
Flat fee of £10 for each vehicle brought onto site for the stay.
 Bulls Crack 19 Jul 2017
In reply to The Ivanator:

I thought Ewleaze one of the very worst campsites I've ever been to! The farmer is literally (with his crappy composting toilets) taking the piss - renting out a few , mostly sloping fields to hoards of people (and I mean hoards - think 1000's of people in each field at about 500 per toilet ;-( ) at high cost - higher at weekends (including the food) . But people seem to love it - probably because they can light a hay bale fire - the smoke of which blankets the valley on some nights.

It's like Glastonbury without the music and quite how it get planning permission is beyond me. They've also recently applied to seasonally shut open access land so that they can put more tents on it.

Not sure where else there is but I'll be looking for somewhere less industrial next time I go
 SFrancis 19 Jul 2017

Stayed at Swallow nest campsite - http://www.swallowsrestselfcatering.co.uk/martleaves-farm-campsite/ last weekend and it seemed to tick all of the boxes. Reasonably quiet, good views, good facilities, close to Portland. A bit on the expensive side (£16 PN), but everywhere in the area seemed to be similar price.

I will definitely be going back.
 The Ivanator 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Hmmm, my experience was of an eco friendly site, no oppressive rules, friendly fellow campers, great beach, on site steam and sauna (free), good on site food options, plenty of flat places to camp if you are further from the sea.
Had to queue for the solar showers generally (but always had a friendly chat whilst doing so), never had to queue for the toilet. True it has a bit of a festival vibe, but some people like that!
 Bulls Crack 19 Jul 2017

No problem with the eco concept but I feel its more about cutting costs/packing in the numbers than environmental commitment - eg entire shower block draining straight onto the ground

main thing was the numbers of people - the facilities are hopelessly inadequate for those numbers
 The Ivanator 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:

We went midweek last Summer (Mon - Fri) and are planning the same again this year - whilst well populated it honestly didn't ever feel overcrowded/desperately short of facilities (OK, a few more showers would have been welcome). As we left on the Friday the numbers piling in were significant, so can believe it might be a different story at the weekend.
Whilst we sat on haybales I didn't see anyone burning them - they sell logs at a reasonable price and all the fires I saw used these.
Guess it is a marmite sort of place, but I liked it.
 Neil Williams 19 Jul 2017
In reply to SFrancis:

> Stayed at Swallow nest campsite - http://www.swallowsrestselfcatering.co.uk/martleaves-farm-campsite/ last weekend and it seemed to tick all of the boxes. Reasonably quiet, good views, good facilities, close to Portland. A bit on the expensive side (£16 PN), but everywhere in the area seemed to be similar price.

I've stayed there and (other than it being quite windy, as it's on the clifftops) it was good, no complaints I can think of. No idea what they think of groups though, there were only 3 of us.
 Owen W-G 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

I like Osmington Mills campsite. Good facilities, good for kids, awesome pub nearby
 trouserburp 19 Jul 2017
In reply to SFrancis:

This one.
> Stayed at Swallow nest campsite - http://www.swallowsrestselfcatering.co.uk/martleaves-farm-campsite/ last weekend and it seemed to tick all of the boxes. Reasonably quiet, good views, good facilities, close to Portland. A bit on the expensive side (£16 PN), but everywhere in the area seemed to be similar price.

This one but I though it was a bit cheaper. I like the alpacas

The other campsites I've been around Weymouth were awful, thousands of screaming kids, butlins-esque facilities and sky-high prices. One of them was also extremely rude when 2 of us turned up at 10pm(!) asking to pitch a tent for the night
 Bulls Crack 20 Jul 2017

We were indeed there at a weekend - I kept on being reminded of High Rise but in tents!
 stp 21 Jul 2017

Good question and something I've wondered about. From the responses it sounds like there aren't any reasonably priced campsites.

I think I'd consider dossing at the top of the crag next time I go, which I've seen other people do in the past. If the weather is OK you might not even need a tent. Pack up first thing and treat yourself to a breakfast in a cafe on the money saved.
OP PanzerHanzler 16 Aug 2017
In reply to stp:

Yup - sounds good. Did see some people wild camping at the cuttings bouldering area. Stayed at the Swallows Nest in the end & had a very good weekend climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...