Training for Ultras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 18 Jul 2017
There seems to be two schools of thought for ultra training

If you look at some of the books written or on line training programmes it is all about lots of miles per week - which logically sounds right

However other people are advocating less miles, shorter long runs but more strength and speed etc

Any one got a view?
 Neil Williams 18 Jul 2017
In reply to iusedtoclimb:
Maintaining a reasonably high level of general fitness seems to work for me (though I've only done 2, a 55km and a 50 miler), though I'm in to finish within the cut-off rather than for speed. I also seem to have a high level of stamina anyway.
Post edited at 14:55
 plyometrics 18 Jul 2017

Bit too general a question.

For peak performance in either, training for a 50km and a 100 miler is going to look pretty different.

If this is for your personal goals and you're after some advice, then suggesting what distance you want to race and an idea of your running experience to date would certainly help.

Either way, there is no perfect answer. Everyone's different and much longer races come down to so much more than just 'training'. Whilst important in all types of running, food, pain tolerance, strategy and experience count for so much more the further you're travelling.

climb41 18 Jul 2017

Just done my first 55k. Longest race before that was a half mara. I had a read of this....

https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/

And it sort of sounded logical to me, so trained that way. It worked for me and I found I was enjoying my trail running more, not killing myself and having time to appreciate my surroundings.

Obviously may not suit everyone....
iusedtoclimb 18 Jul 2017
In reply to plyometrics:

I've done Lakeland 100 and a couple of long races in the Pyrenees - I would only do ~ 40 odd miles per week training

Keen to do Ronda Del cims next year 105m and 12,000m climbing

Just trying to get my head around what I need to do differently - more miles per week which I reckon I would struggle with or something different!
 Rich A 18 Jul 2017

It sounds like you manage plenty of millage if you have already done a 100 miler. But the RDC is twice the height gain of the L100 (and by the way its +13,500m - that extra Ben Nevis will hurt If you want to simply survive the RDC (and >50% don't) I would suggest lots of long slow hill days with lots and lots of climbing and descending grinding out hills rather than focusing on quality millage. Its rough tracks and tough descents and being super speedy isn't necessarily helpful unless you are super strong also.

If you get lots of quality time in the mountains then sure more shorter powerful sessions as time/inclination allows to build up speed will be a bonus for zooming past folk. If you don't live close to the mountains then you might need to get more creative...

Good luck with your training. It's a great race.
Rich
 Roadrunner5 19 Jul 2017

Miles is the most proven way.

But that doesn't work for everyone.

I always followed a high mileage marathon schedule, long runs every few days. Lots of quick running and Lactic threshold/tempo.

My best year was 2013 and I ran 90-100 miles a week all year and was probably in around 2:30 marathon shape. I could run 50-60 miles sub 7:00 min miles, and that was lots and lots of 12-18 milers.

Most of your physiological gains come after around 80-120 minutes of running. As many of them as you can. I think people get too obsessed with long runs rather than lots of quality longish runs.

However not everyone can tolerate high mileage. In back running around 80-90 miles a week, I'll probably do 100 miles this week and have forgotten how tiring it is. Lots of couch time and afternoon snoozes. I'll get up and do 10 miles before breakfast, have a mid day snooze and do 10 miles early evening.
iusedtoclimb 20 Jul 2017
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Thanks for that - what is your longest run you do a week or only upto 18miles?
 Roadrunner5 20 Jul 2017
In reply to iusedtoclimb: I like that my post was disliked.. UKC at its best

I'd never go over 20 and wouldn't do 20 every week. I space long runs about 10 days apart but 14-16 more regularly.

You need to work out what cycle works for you. For me 20 milers once a week was too much. People get overly caught up in weekly cycles.

However I'll use trail marathons and 50ks as longer training runs of targeting a 50 miler but would do a light taper and some recovery. Plus I like racing that distance. Probably the distance I enjoy most.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...