VIDEO: Arc'teryx Alpine Academy: Short Roping a Partner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Arc'teryx Alpine Academy No Logo, 2 kbIn this video series on UKClimbing, we have teamed up with Arc'teryx and mountain guide Peter Mason, to cover a range of basic Alpine and Mountaineering skills. In this film, Peter explains how to short rope a partner on steep terrain.

Read more
 CMacD 17 Jul 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:
Peter has got this badly wrong. He shows his coils around his neck only instead of over one shoulder. Yes at the end of the piece you can see that he has flipped them over his shoulder, but a beginner watching this would not notice.
 wbo 17 Jul 2017
He mentions putting them over the shoulder several time, and the way he sets this up makes sense and is well explained. I enjoyed this, thought it useful and well presented
 JayPee630 18 Jul 2017
In reply to CMacD:

What? That's how you take coils. You're talking rubbish.
 Webster 18 Jul 2017
In reply to CMacD:

I agree. he also holds his axe the wrong way round!
davet973 21 Jul 2017
In reply to Webster:

Really good quality video and clear narrative, a shame the instruction didn't complete the procedure by showing him put his arm through the loops to get them over one shoulder, also I noticed he was holding his axe the wrong way to what I was taught, i.e first finger and thumb around the waist between the adze and the shaft thereby orientating the palm of the hand directly over the perpendicular axis of the shaft.
Keep it coming.
Dave T.
 Nbrain 22 Jul 2017

YEah not how I had been taught to tie off coils either. And i would of had rope around right side of Dan during final shot as fall to left seems more likely.
 jezb1 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Webster:

> I agree. he also holds his axe the wrong way round!

Pick facing away seems pretty normal apart from with us Brits.
 jezb1 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Nbrain:

> YEah not how I had been taught to tie off coils either.

Lots of ways to tie off coils, as long as it achieves the same purpose and is neat and tidy it's all good

Webster 22 Jul 2017
In reply to jezb1:

> Pick facing away seems pretty normal apart from with us Brits.

that's because many places don't even teach ice axe arresting, which is just crazy! sure prevention is better than cure and the first port of call should be not to slip in the first place, but if you do...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...