SKILLS: How to go From Hillwalker to Fell Runner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
walker to runner montage, 3 kbFell running is a surprisingly simple transition from hillwalking, says Claire Maxted - it's just lighter and faster! If you have the hill skills then you're already most of the way there.

Read more
 rossowen 06 Jul 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Great article showing how accessible the sport actually is. You don't need to be able to sprint up Ben Nevis to enjoy fell running.
 AlanLittle 07 Jul 2017
In reply to rossowen:

I agree. I personally have no interesting in fell running at the moment (have done a little bit in the distant past), but nevertheless a top article that I enjoyed reading.
 steveriley 07 Jul 2017

Nice. 'Give it a go' is the best advice I can give. It's not that complicated and people tend to build it up as harder & scarier than it really is.
 petestack 07 Jul 2017

Surely it's even simpler to go from hill walker to hill runner or fell walker to fell runner?

(Serious point: it's almost universally called hill running in Scotland.)
 tony 07 Jul 2017
In reply to steveriley:

> Nice. 'Give it a go' is the best advice I can give. It's not that complicated and people tend to build it up as harder & scarier than it really is.

Quite agree. I used to a lot of hill walking and thought hill running was way beyond me. Then I moved to a hillier part of the country and then joined a local running club and the next thing I knew I was on a club weekend away running up Slioch. I think the biggest lesson I learned was that's it's okay to walk some of the uphills.
 gavmac 07 Jul 2017

Great. Simple and inspiring article.

Hill running has opened up a whole new world of adventures for me.

I must confess, I find it hard to hill walk now when I think of the hills I can link up if I just run.
Post edited at 11:46
 rocksol 07 Jul 2017

Run instead of walk. Simples!
 BusyLizzie 07 Jul 2017

Very inspiring!
 Dell 08 Jul 2017

I don't? run and have never had any interest in it, but after reading this article and watching this video, I'm thinking maybe I should give it a go?

It had never occurred to me that walking the uphills isn't cheating!

http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/why-i-run/
mysterion 08 Jul 2017

Been trying to resist this for a while, think it would feel 'too good'...
 Simon Caldwell 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Dell:

I walk most of the uphills, quite a few of the flat bits, and by the end of a long race most of the downhills as well - but still rarely finish last!
 Dell 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

If have no real interest in the racing aspect. How fast/slow I am in relation to other people is irrelevant to my life, theirs, and the universe in general.

If I'm honest, it's the shoe measurement/heel drop/faff/pronation business that is really holding me back.
 Greasy Prusiks 10 Jul 2017

Nice article, really informative.

I'd really like to read an article on how people transition to doing ultras as I can't get my head around how 'normal' people manage that. Perhaps an idea for the next article?
 petestack 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> I'd really like to read an article on how people transition to doing ultras as I can't get my head around how 'normal' people manage that.

Can't speak for everyone, but re. my first official ultra race (following informal meaty hill rounds like Tranter's Round and the Round of Glen Coe):

http://www.petestack.com/running/whw2007.html

wbo 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Dell: what's holding you back with that? Terminology, working out what's important , or not?

DaveHK 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> I'd really like to read an article on how people transition to doing ultras as I can't get my head around how 'normal' people manage that. Perhaps an idea for the next article?

Firstly, you need to believe you're capable and you do that by having intermediate goals.

Then it's just a matter of gradually building up your training miles with a decent taper before the event. Simple!

Dell 10 Jul 2017
In reply to wbo:

Bit of everything. Mainly because it's another thing to add to the 'to do list'
What I've done with walking and climbing boots is buy them instore or online and just try them out, no problems so far.
But when long distances or speed are involved, small problems become bigger ones before you know it, friend of mine recently bought new trail shoes instore for walking the Camino but had to bail out half way due to injury. Turns out they needed a specific type of shoe for their foot shape something or other.

Maybe I should just suck it up, and strap on my £25 bottom-of-the-range New Balance trainers from the Sports Direct sale next time I'm in the hills, and see if I end up a cripple.
Removed User 11 Jul 2017

Great article.

This short film is very inspiring, don't be put off by the title. Lovely stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=UsHfPhGJS2A&
 Mark Collins 15 Jul 2017

Thanks for the article. I've often been super impressed by the achievement of people within this field, but never thought it could be possible for me. However, this has actually got me wondering whether it might be. Oh well, no time like the present, off to try these tips out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...