Loch Lomond

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Amyola 04 Jul 2017
Hello,

My partner and I are heading to Loch Lomond for a couple of weeks in late July - early August. We are planning on doing some biking while we are there. He is quite into mountain biking but it's a very recent thing for me!

Can anyone recommend anywhere suitable? Or any other things I need to know!

Thanks

Amy

Dave the Rave 04 Jul 2017
In reply to Amyola:

As far as I'm aware there's a cycle track from Balloch to Firkin Point. This is a bimble track but the views are fine.
 PPP 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Amyola:

Glen Loin in Arrochar is amazing. Done it on a bike, came back to do it on foot as it gives nice views and fairly interesting loop.

Some of West Highland Way is very enjoyable on a bike. I've done Milngavie to Balmaha (and bits of it) quite few times because it's so easy to get to from Glasgow, but there are quite few sections of flat ground.

JLS 22 Jul 2017
In reply to Amyola:

Cycling on the West side of Loch Lomond should be avoided due to fast or narrow roads and heavy traffic. Eastside much better with sections of West Highland way and good forest tracks south of Aberfoyle. These can be linked into a 4hrs+ circumnavigation of Ben Lomond.
 DundeeDave 23 Jul 2017
In reply to JLS:

There is an off road cycle path all the way down the West side of Loch Lomond. Never been down the east side as I heard the path wasn't great for cycling in places.
 EuanM 23 Jul 2017
In reply to Amyola:

http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.aspx?VenueNumber=211

The attached is an enjoyable circuit. Mixed terrain and views and not too intense MTB specific trail. A couple of tough climbs but plenty to look at to keep your mind off them.

JLS 23 Jul 2017
In reply to DundeeDave:

http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/rr-content/uploads/2016/07/Cycling_West...

Certainly it goes on a bit further than I had thought but crucially it runs out before the top of the loch leaving a nasty road section.
 jonnie3430 23 Jul 2017
In reply to Amyola:

If he likes gnarly descents, there's one that starts in the kilpatricks near loch Humphrey that ends just short of the a82 near the Erskine bridge. youtube.com/watch?v=bxrU9i4VNNE&
 DundeeDave 23 Jul 2017
In reply to JLS:

Fair point. We got the ferry over from Inversnaid to Tarbert and then headed south so not familiar with the northern end of the west side of the loch.

If it's any help here's the route we took over 2 days https://www.strava.com/activities/945308987 (anti-clockwise)

I was on my hybrid, daughter was on her adventure road bike, so not really any mountain biking, but otherwise a route I'd recommend . Camped just north of Luss using the new NP camping scheme

Hope you have a great time there.

Dave
 bobpilgrem 24 Jul 2017
In reply to DundeeDave:
Just to support previous response -road north from Tarbett is in my view quite hazardous.
I did it on LEJOG -and witnessed another tourer clipped by car and crashing.
Lots of tour buses and lorries.
Hope this helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...