Which refurbished/second hand DSLR for shooting video?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 03 Jul 2017
I'm looking to get a DSLR, either second hand or refurbished, for shooting video. I've been told that a second hand DSLR (which I've extended to include refurbished) is the most cost efficient way to go. Given a budget of £500 (to cover camera, kit lens and an external mic) what would people go for?

So far I'm looking at:

Nikon D5200
Nikon D3300
Nikon D5100
Canon EOS series...various

And on the mic. front:

Azden SMX10
Rode videomic

Any and all advice appreciated.

Robert
 Toerag 03 Jul 2017
In reply to Roberttaylor:

~Panasonic GH3 / 4? I hear lots of good things about those for video.
 richprideaux 03 Jul 2017

What are you shooting/producing? That may influence the answers.

Add the Takstar mic to your shortlist. Very good for the fraction of the price of a Rode - or even a decent lavalier lapel mic for interviews/talking to the camera.
 Hamfunk 03 Jul 2017

If you can get a hold of a Panasonic GH2 and do the firmware hack you have ridiculous bit rates at 1080p. Put the rest of the money into glass. Prob come in cheaper than the GH3/4 recommended above.
OP Roberttaylor 04 Jul 2017
In reply to richprideaux:

I want to try and film winter climbing, for my sins.
 Dark-Cloud 04 Jul 2017

>I want to try and film winter climbing, for my sins.

Might be worth looking for something weather sealed in that case, i don't know if any of your choices are, if they are and you have considered that then carry on
 richprideaux 04 Jul 2017

Mpb.com is great place to find decent secondhand kit if you haven't already had a look.

The Nikons you mention can all be hacked for 64mb bitrate too I think. I've hacked my old D3200 and it seems to be OK.

The standard 18-55 VR lens from Nikon is still excellent for the price, and if you go for one of the newer P series it has quieter motors which can make a difference if shooting on AF with an on-camera mic. The 35mm 1.8 is also excellent, and about right for filming others (a bit too close for filming yourself handheld though)

Frame rate will also make a difference. If you want more of a film look then you can shoot at 25fps, but if you want to capture some action and slow it down in the edit you will want a higher frame rate - the older Nikons don't offer anything over 30fps at 1080 HD.

Leave something in the budget for spare batteries and maybe one of those camera armour rubber thingies.
 Chombi 04 Jul 2017

Hey man, I've sent you an email about my old setup that I'm considering selling!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...