Earphones for running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 minimike 02 Jul 2017
I seem to have small ear holes.. I've got a cheap pair of in ear plugs with the little arms that fit inside your earlobe but even with the smallest plugs they pop out all the time when running. Are there any decent alternatives? Any recommendations?

Fit and stay-in-ability trumps sound quality although I don't want absolute junk..

Thanks, mike
 AlanLittle 02 Jul 2017
In reply to minimike:

I have a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantronics-BackBeat-Wireless-Headphones-Smartphon...

IThe over the ear loops are comfortable and stable. don't run, but they stay in place well enough doing big throws on a moonboard. But the actual in-ear part is not small.

They have a good mix between letting plenty of ambient sound in - important for safety in traffic - bit still quite decent sound quality.

Not cheap, but worth it imo.
 Neil Williams 02 Jul 2017
In reply to minimike:

I use Apple ones. I don't get on with any of the rubber tipped ones at all - I find poor sound quality and they fall out all the time, and I have tried lots of sizes.
 Connorh 02 Jul 2017
In reply to minimike:
I've got these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S9P2P4M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s0...

Sound quality is really good, noise isoliation is good and they stay in the ear pretty well. They come with a good range of earbuds as well.

I originally paid £49 for them, you might find a similar price.
Post edited at 23:43
 Howard J 03 Jul 2017
In reply to minimike:

You should also consider bone-conduction earphones. These sit just forward of the ears and transmit sound through the skull. As well as not worrying about them falling out, it means you can clearly hear traffic and other external sounds as they don't block the ears at all.
 kathrync 03 Jul 2017
In reply to minimike:

I have Jaybird X3s and love them - they work really well for me. But they are a similar design to your description of your previous pair so they may not work for you.

I find buying in-ear type headphones really frustrating - headphones that are painful or don't fit are pretty much unusable, but you can't really try them before you buy.
Jim C 03 Jul 2017
 Fraser 03 Jul 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

> I use Apple ones. I don't get on with any of the rubber tipped ones at all - I find poor sound quality and they fall out all the time, and I have tried lots of sizes.

Perhaps they're ok for running, but for commuters nearby, the Apple ones are a complete PITA for the wearer's neighbours. In the train, everyone I've sat next to with them can only 'hang' them inside their ear, thereby creating a megaphone effect so that people nearby can hear their music, which is really irritating. I find the silicone-tipped ones are better since they help seal them to my ear, giving me better sound and minimising audio leakage, but I realise not everyone likes or can wear them.
 Neil Williams 03 Jul 2017
In reply to Fraser:

I think you must need a certain ear shape for them to work. I've tried several pairs and several different sizes of inserts after people rave about them. I simply cannot use them.

Apple ones are fine if you don't set the volume too high. A good test is to take them out - if you can still hear it them it's too loud.
 kathrync 03 Jul 2017

> I think you must need a certain ear shape for them to work. I've tried several pairs and several different sizes of inserts after people rave about them. I simply cannot use them.

Have you tried using memory foam inserts instead of silicone? The inserts don't last as long, but I find they fit me much better than silicone...

Fraser 03 Jul 2017

> I think you must need a certain ear shape for them to work. I've tried several pairs and several different sizes of inserts after people rave about them. I simply cannot use them.

Yes, I'd agree. I've tried some non-Apple ones which also didn't have a foam cover and they'd constantly slip out/off my ears. I ended up having to buy some black foam covers and they're now fine.
In reply to kathrync:

> Have you tried using memory foam inserts instead of silicone? The inserts don't last as long, but I find they fit me much better than silicone...

Might be worth a go, but I just don't see a sense in the expense when I find the Apple type quite acceptable.
 kathrync 03 Jul 2017

> Might be worth a go, but I just don't see a sense in the expense when I find the Apple type quite acceptable.

Ah fair enough - I was actually intending that for the OP anyway, but I had lost track of who it was!

In reply to kathrync:

No worries, was more of a general reply
OP minimike 03 Jul 2017
In reply to kathrync:

thanks all, i'm going to try some memory foam tips for my sennheisers, that seems most likely to work without massive cost. The snugs option looks awesome but expensive and maybe too isolating?

mike
 radddogg 04 Jul 2017
In reply to minimike:

I've struggled for years trying to find something that would stay in my ears. I've finally found the perfect option. These are bluetooth so no annoying wires to snag and the ear cradle holds the bud snuggly inside your ear canal. The volume is louder than any other in ear earphones I've tried. Sounds quality is good and has noise cancelling. Battery life is superb too. Just read the amazon reviews if you don't want to take my word for it. Finally, they are super cheap too at £15.99. Do it!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Headphones-SoundPEATS-Wireless-Earphones...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...