MIA working in Europe Query

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HikeandClimb 27 Jun 2017
Hey folks,

Anyone have practical experience using the quals in Europe?
My understanding is Spain, Croatia, Italy (maybe Switzerland) has MIA's running sports trips/sessions.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
ChrisOl 27 Jun 2017
In reply to HikeandClimb:

This is an interesting article you could find useful http://www.bestadventurejobs.co.uk/mountain_instructor.php

Although it doesn't really say that you can use MIA around the Europe..
 jezb1 27 Jun 2017

Are you an AMI member? If so ask the same question on our AMI Facebook page and I'm sure someone will give you some good knowledge

Hi
I am a MIA who lives and work's in the French Alps, the MIA like all UK awards doesn't allow you to work in France, under their law you should hold a carte professional so have gained equivalence or undertake a french award,

equivalence can be straight forward with awards with similar pathways such as IML, or a nightmare/not posable for ones that don't match up with the French awards.

I hold a carte pro for rock climbing, kayaking and as a IML

I understand Switzerland has similar rules in place, but not 100%

if you would like more info feel free to email me rob@dream-trails.com

cheers
 summo 27 Jun 2017

The MIA/MIC are UIAA accredited.
http://theuiaa.org/mountain-qualification-label/

This in essence means that their standards, syllabus, assessment etc.. are pretty much equal to other countries on the scheme. But that does not mean one nations governing body will automatically transfer your awards. It varies nation to nation. Some require you to have a first aid course from that country or have attended a climbing course there, as either a pupil or shadow instructor, so you learn the climbing terminology and local ethics etc.

Best find the contact details for each countries governing body, or scour their website for a list of conditions required for transfers of quals. Don't expect it to be easy as some countries are what might call protectionist and it is not always fully understood by other nations instructors as so few people transfer over and the UIAA agreements are relatively new (Steve Long's work I believe ).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...