Bike route in Peak for kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 26 Jun 2017
Can anyone recommend a reasonably flatish cycle route suitable for a 10 year old in Peak district?

less then 10 miles please
 Stig 26 Jun 2017
In reply to iusedtoclimb: road? Trail? Circular? Linear?

Monsal trail or tissington/high peak trails are the obvious answers but not very challenging for a 10 year old.

Chris the Tall 26 Jun 2017
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

Monsal trail is brilliant for this. Park at Millers Dale station (Pay and display) and cycle west towards Buxton - 3 tunnels, a few bridges and some stunning views of Chee Dale. And a little cafe/shack at Blackwell. Come back the same way and if your kid isn't knackered continue past the car for 3 more tunnels and yet more spectacular views of Raven Tor and WCJ
 TobyA 26 Jun 2017

Round the Derwent reservoirs is nice and mainly flat. You can go paddling in the stream at the top end too.
 TobyA 26 Jun 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Rode along the Monsal trail at about 9 pm on Saturday evening as far as Miller's Dale. Those tunnels are VERY dark with no lights on. My tiny Aldi bike light and micro headtorch just about got me through.

OP: the lights are on in the day, and my kids enjoyed riding it when they were 10ish.
 Chris the Tall 26 Jun 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Sounds like fun !

On a similar note try MTBing by moonlight. Did the full length of Houndkirk by full moon last year and it was stunning, though difficult to distinguish between rocks and puddles until you hit them !
iusedtoclimb 26 Jun 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Is that Ladybower reservoir? Looks good

SO where would be a good pub for a spot of sunday lunch afterwards?

TobyA 26 Jun 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I bivvied in a field up above Monk Dale, having ridden out from Sheffield mixing bits of the Linnacre, Chatsworth and Bakewell routes from the MTBing in the White Peak Guide. Sunday morning rode back: Litton, Eyam, Stoney, up the road under Froggat and back into Sheffield down from Blackamoor which was effing brilliant fun, have gone up there before on my CX but not down - proper mountain biking but with full bikepacking kit on the bike!
 TobyA 26 Jun 2017

That'll be the one. Ladybower Inn seems very popular for lunch, I've only had chips there once.
 phizz4 26 Jun 2017

What about the circuit of Carsington Water (although not actually in the Peak District). Or, start on the Tissington Trail at Hartington, cycle south to the Biggin road. Go left, cross the A515 and follow the track towards Pikehall and intercept the High Peak trail. go left ( mind the road crossing) and either go as far as the HP/T junction or shorten the ride by taking the track just past Brundcliffe farm, which goes west,crosses the A515 and takes you back to Hartington.
 Stig 26 Jun 2017

> Is that Ladybower reservoir? Looks good

No. It's Howden and Derwent reservoirs. Park at the cafe near the dam, Lockerbrook I think it's called. But it's a good shout and Toby's right about stopping for a snack/paddle at the top stream.

> SO where would be a good pub for a spot of sunday lunch afterwards?

Probably the Ladybower Inn or the Yorkshire Bridge. The community pub in Bamford is pretty good as well (more like cafe food I think).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...