Lack of shop stock/hard to find gear!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayPee630 24 Jun 2017
I'm in the market for a new softshell and a new alpine pack. Have narrowed the options down to 3 or 4 of each. Not hard to find manufacturers: Patagonia, Mountain Equipment, Arcteryx, Rab.

Can I find anywhere with stock in a medium? Can I f**k. Seems to be a common problem (and I've probably moaned about it on here before).

What's going on? Sometimes I think manufacturers don't even make much this stuff, it's just a nice thing on their website.

Hay 24 Jun 2017
In reply to JayPee630:
Softshell sales are def on the slide and that's reflected in what shops can/will range.
Its the other end of the pendulum swing from a few years ago when you couldn't move for softshell - same as skinny-baffle down now.
Manufacturers tried to do too much w. softshell and (hybrid zoning, windstopper). It'll settle back down and hopefully they'll realise that a standard athletic fit, light-ish soft shell (w. hood) is a good thing.

As for Alpine bags? Remerched that area in this shop today and we've loads. Always plenty of them around as buyers over buy them - mostly because they are all nice these days.

Bruce

nathan79 24 Jun 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

The curse of being the most popular size I expect. (Though I'd also expect shops to account for this and order more of that size).

I recommend checking out the Montane Dyno Stretch. Light, breathable, stretchy and a typical good Montane hood. Considering buying a second.
 BnB 24 Jun 2017
In reply to nathan79:

> The curse of being the most popular size I expect. (Though I'd also expect shops to account for this and order more of that size).

> I recommend checking out the Montane Dyno Stretch. Light, breathable, stretchy and a typical good Montane hood. Considering buying a second.

Couldn't agree more. Great jacket and great value.
 Rick Graham 24 Jun 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

Its just the way the outdoor equipment industry has evolved over the last fifty years or so.

Traditionally, there would be manufacturers, wholesalers/distributors in each country, retailers and Joe Public.
All the businesses would produce as much product as they thought they could sell or afford ( cash flow).
Each part of the chain would buy stock held higher up.

Nowadays we have designers often getting the manufacture done in the Far East.
Forward ordering in bulk is demanded by the manufactures and distributors of those further down the system.
Not much stock is held for top ups or unexpected demand on certain sizes or colours.

For Joe Public, one improvement is that far more choice is available in good gear.
Also much over production ( caused by over ambitious demand estimation ) often results in clearance at bargain prices.
In reply to JayPee630:
Just had a look at Needlesports' site.

Loads of men's softshells in medium available there.
Post edited at 21:02
OP JayPee630 24 Jun 2017
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
Thanks, after either a ME Kinesis or Patagonia Nano Air light hoody, both of which seem impossible to find in a medium! But thanks!
Post edited at 22:58

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...