Lightweight Gear and Gadgets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 23 Jun 2017
I know a lot of trekkers try to minimise the weight of their gear as in clothing etc. I do wonder how much of this gets off-set by some of the gadgets we carry with us: phones, cameras, GPS and chargers and the like.

Who carries what on a trek nowadays? I admit that I tend to class a camera as fairly essential.
 Andy Johnson 23 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
I carry an old Nokia non-smartphone. Small, lightweight, and the battery lasts for days so no need for a charger, even on a week-long trip. My GPS runs on two AA batteries, so no need for a charger for that either. Camera (which I agree is essential) is a small Lumix, and I pack a couple of spare batteries for trips that are longer than a weekend. Final gadget is a 4th gen Kindle. According to my spreadsheet the total weight is about 750g.
Post edited at 17:55
 BnB 23 Jun 2017
In reply to andyjohnson0:

> I carry an old Nokia non-smartphone. Small, lightweight, and the battery lasts for days so no need for a charger, even on a week-long trip. My GPS runs on two AA batteries, so no need for a charger for that either. Camera (which I agree is essential) is a small Lumix, and I pack a couple of spare batteries for trips that are longer than a weekend. Final gadget is a 4th gen Kindle. According to my spreadsheet the total weight is about 750g.

Good to see a spreadsheet being put to proper use
 jonnie3430 23 Jun 2017

> I carry an old Nokia non-smartphone. Small, lightweight, and the battery lasts for days so no need for a charger, even on a week-long trip. My GPS runs on two AA batteries, so no need for a charger for that either. Camera (which I agree is essential) is a small Lumix, and I pack a couple of spare batteries for trips that are longer than a weekend. Final gadget is a 4th gen Kindle. According to my spreadsheet the total weight is about 750g.

Or you could carry a smart phone.

Andy Johnson 23 Jun 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:
> Or you could carry a smart phone.

Yes, I could. But if I used it to replace all those other items then the battery wouldn't even last a day. So I'd need to mess around with solar chargers. Plus pictures wouldn't be as good. And reading books on a phone is a lousy experience. And single point of failure.

Each of those gadgets does a single job well with minimal distractions, which is how I like it when I'm in the hills.

Post edited at 19:26
 IPPurewater 23 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I carry a basic phone, which has a battery that lasts a week, and a Sony Nex 5 camera - quite light for the quality of image - one battery lasts about 350 shots. If I shoot selectively, approaching what I would do with film, that also last a week. The key to travelling light is leaving most things behind !
 Dave the Rave 23 Jun 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Or you could carry a smart phone.

Too many eggs in one basket could make an unhappy camper?
In reply to mypyrex:

I don't carry a camera. Instead I carry a small crayon and if I chance across a nice view I'll tear the arse out of my pants and sketch the vista on that instead.
 jonnie3430 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Oh no, my book has broken, and my GPS, for heaven's sake it's my camera now, what'll I do? Meh.

Turn off data, or put on flight mode and it'll last a week.
 greg_may_ 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

How do you do a panoramic shot? Trouser leg?
 SenzuBean 23 Jun 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Oh no, my book has broken, and my GPS, for heaven's sake it's my camera now, what'll I do? Meh.

> Turn off data, or put on flight mode and it'll last a week.

I think you're missing Dave's point - the point is that when you use your "camera" or "gps" all day and run the battery out - you have no emergency contact ability anymore. With separate items, there is no need to worry that using your camera will cause your ability to call emergency services to be impacted.
Shelley Field 24 Jun 2017

Smart choice for the non-smart phones sometimes. Some of my friends do that too.

It's more power saving and provides better signals in remote areas. Plus if by any chance, you drop it on the ground, it's more tough and not too much worry for the possible damage or money.
 jonnie3430 24 Jun 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

No, I caught it, just pointed out that he can do all he wants with a smart phone if he turns the flight mode on.
 Dr.S at work 24 Jun 2017

I'd agree about the importance of an actual camera - although for some shots my iPhone works better than my camera (sunsets, panoramas).

The smart phone makes an amazing catch all for backing up other items though.

girlymonkey 24 Jun 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

I use my smartphone for all of those things. On a recent 4 day trip, where I did turn off flight mode occasionally on summits to get forecasts and emails etc, I still had over 50% battery left by the end of the trip.

You'd be amazed at how efficient flight mode is.
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

That's almost poetry. I have a joyful vision of a shocked group of ramblers happening upon you in the process of ripping the arse out of your pants, crayon between your teeth...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...