Solar Charger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 21 Jun 2017

I use one of these to charge up my phone/tablet:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja...
Powertraveller Powermonkey Extreme 5V and 12V Solar Portable Charger

However, in normal circumstances, I've never found a way of being able to use it "on the go".
I had the idea of attaching solar panel part to my rucksack which I've done using cable ties and existing loops on my sack. I then connect the phone with the USB connector and put the phone in a sack pocket.

Can anyone see any problems using such an arrangement on the go. Are solar panels water resistant?
Post edited at 17:38
 timjones 21 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> I use one of these to charge up my phone/tablet:

> Powertraveller Powermonkey Extreme 5V and 12V Solar Portable Charger

> However, in normal circumstances, I've never found a way of being able to use it "on the go".

> I had the idea of attaching solar panel part to my rucksack which I've done using cable ties and existing loops on my sack. I then connect the phone with the USB connector and put the phone in a sack pocket.

> Can anyone see any problems using such an arrangement on the go. Are solar panels water resistant?

Does that really weight 920g?

I carry one ofthese that weighs 320g and will charge a phone for week as long as you don't overuse it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-Qualcomm-Backwards-Compatible/dp/B...
OP mypyrex 21 Jun 2017
In reply to timjones:

> Does that really weight 920g?

> I carry one ofthese that weighs 320g and will charge a phone for week as long as you don't overuse it.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Presumably you don't need a solar panel as long as you can charge it from the mains every so often - like when you're in a hut.
 timjones 21 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Presumably you don't need a solar panel as long as you can charge it from the mains every so often - like when you're in a hut.

That's correct. The number of charges you get will vary depending on the phone that you are charging. Iphones seem to really suck the power out of it, whereas my Galaxy S5 is far less draining.

I do have an Anker solar panel but if I wanted extra power I think I would be more tempted to carry a second battery pack these days.
OP mypyrex 21 Jun 2017
In reply to timjones:

Thanks. I see there is an Anker 20100. Do you know what the difference is?
 FreshSlate 21 Jun 2017
In reply to timjones:

> Does that really weight 920g?

> I carry one ofthese that weighs 320g and will charge a phone for week as long as you don't overuse it.

20,000 mAh will charge a galaxy s8 or iphone 7 plus (i.e. pretty big flagship phones) 6.7ish times. My s7 lasts over a day so you're looking at 8-9 days charge. Or longer with lower usage.

Obviously you could buy almost 3 for the same weight and it's more reliable and won't take more than a day to charge it's considerably smaller battery...
 timjones 21 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> Thanks. I see there is an Anker 20100. Do you know what the difference is?

With Anker the numbers generally refer to the batteries in mAH, this pack would have over double the capacity of the Powermonkey that you linked to in your first post.

Mine is a 20000 mAH pack and I used it exclusively to charge my phone during an intensive day of travel and meetings yesterday. With a lot of phone calls and data used I had to fully charge the phone at least twice during a 20 hour day and the battery pack didn't even drop a single bar on it's charge meter.

You might gather that I'm rather impressed with Anker battery packs, hopefully someone will be along in a while to provide some balance and review another companies products
OP mypyrex 21 Jun 2017
In reply to timjones:
Thanks. I've just ordered one.
Incidentally I've just been checking the solar panel on the powermonkey and I noticed that even in sunlight the phone was DISCHARGING. I don't know why.
Post edited at 20:02
 timjones 21 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> Thanks. I've just ordered one.

> Incidentally I've just been checking the solar panel on the powermonkey and I noticed that even in sunlight the phone was DISCHARGING. I don't know why.

I hope you are pleased with it.

I've had mine for almost 3 years and it is still going strong.
 Alan M 21 Jun 2017
In reply to timjones:

I agree, I use the Anker Powercore 26800 just got back from 5 days camping charging the phone every day from single figure battery % and it still has power left. A bit large to lug around in a backpack if you like to go lightweight so I plan to buy a smaller version for when out in the hills.
Post edited at 20:50
OP mypyrex 22 Jun 2017
In reply to timjones:
Just taken delivery and, with both my phone an tablet connected, it looks good so far.
I look forward to doing the TMB without being concerned whether or not my gadgets(including my headtorch) are still charged by the time I get to the hut at the end of the day.
Post edited at 16:19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...