Crowberry Tower rock fall 19.06.17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SamP88 20 Jun 2017

Crowberry Tower rock fall 19.06.17
Yesterday my friend and I had just climbed Crowberry Tower and on the way down into the gully to scramble up to the summit I started a small rock fall.

Near the top of the Tower is a large and precarious overhanging block above one of the ledges hanging out into the gully. I was scrambling underneath the large block and put my left hand against the rock underneath the block (with my left hand behind me). The very limited force I exerted on the rock was enough to cause pieces of rock with the combined size of a suitcase to fracture. I kept my left hand against the rock which prevented it from collapsing. After shouting below as loud as I could I removed my left hand from the rock. All the fractured rock fell then from the face and hurtled down the gully to the north (making alot of noise in the process).

To our great relief there was no movement from the block, and we quickly made our way out the area. I would strongly advise people not to enter the area as it is surely not long before the large block collapses. I realise I'm not the first to comment on the block, but I am probably the first person to witness stability of the block deteriorate first hand.
Post edited at 10:08
 iveitch 22 Jun 2017
In reply to SamP88:

I climbed Crowberry Tower yesterday (20th June) from the gap between it and the summit and only saw the unstable block after walking under it and looking back. Retracing my steps from the top of the tower I didn't hang about when descending into the gap. The block looks ready to fall at any minute and anyone climbing up from or down into the gap would be in the firing line.
Will try to post a photo.
 Jamie B 22 Jun 2017
In reply to iveitch:

No sign of your photo yet - would be interested to see what as changed as the whole area of rock has always looked fragile.
 iveitch 24 Jun 2017
In reply to Jamie B:

I've uploaded it now into the Scrambling section.
 Joe G 28 Jun 2017
In reply to SamP88:

Thanks for the heads up! So I'm guessing if people do a climb on Rannoch Wall they would be better off traversing left under Crowberry Tower from Crowberry Ridge to the top of Curved Ridge rather than continuing up to the top of the Tower, and if continuing to the summit of the Buachaille, do so without going up the usual gully behind Crowberry Tower...
 CurlyStevo 28 Jun 2017
In reply to SamP88:
I think the most loose rock commented on other posts on various sites is after the overhanging rock. That area is pretty loose and of course early summer problems tend to be worse.

From the pic the overhanging block it 'looks' somewhat wedged in by the leaning tower, do you think the overhanging block is loose or just the rock under it?

Ofcourse the leaning tower and over hanging block it self will at some point go (quite possibly at the same time!), just will it be in 1 day 10 years or 1000?
Post edited at 11:05
 AlH 29 Jun 2017
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I was up there today. Other than the new scar showing where the rock has fallen away and a few loose bits on the ledge below the rock below the block is no looser than before. there is noticeably less beneath the block supporting it before (not encouraging) but more than 50% of its base is still resting on the ledge above (a little better). Overall though it looks more precarious than previously and its anyone's guess how stable it is so I personally might avoid taking folk up onto the Tower for a while.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...