Litter and rubbish at Horseshoe Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FBSF 18 Jun 2017
For the 2nd time in as many visits Ive had to clear up the remains of someone's bbq at Horseshoe. First time was definitely climbers and they had also decided to leave the wrappers of the food used etc all around underneath Shot yer bolt .
Yesterday there were 2 used disposal bbq right next to the path near the pond with the associated litter. This was around 7ish and bar 2 very keen individuals (the cliff was hotter than the sun) all had gone home. Disappointingly no one had attempted to clear them up.
It goes without saying take your shit home, if you cant take the bbq back to the car because its hot they don't bastard light the thing.
 Pekkie 19 Jun 2017
In reply to FBSF:

Could the person who disliked this post let us have their reasons why they think they shouldn't take their shit home. Or, alternatively, they could leave their address so we can let them have it (the shit) back via their letter box. Don't mention it, all part of the service.
 Stoney Boy 19 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:

Even worse than the litter some kind soul had curled out a Mr Whippy under Madagascar recently. I know it's not the best route but at least try and put a stone over it......
 mrphilipoldham 19 Jun 2017
In reply to FBSF:

It's prevalent all over at the moment, someone (though granted, not a climber) left a half eaten tuna sandwich and packet on top of Wimberry yesterday. They went to the effort to carry it up there, surely it's easier to carry half of it back down?! Nothing but disrespect and laziness.
 colinnave 19 Jun 2017
In reply to FBSF:

Thanks very much for clearing this up. My wife Kym and I walk around the quarry every couple of weeks with a rubbish sack picking up litter. Carried back about a dozen plastic and glass bottles last time. We had heard there was some barbecue stuff strewn around and we intended to go round this afternoon. Will do this anyway as we approach from Eyam and we might find other stuff.

The problem is clearly from a mixture of climbers and non climbers. Most but not all of the bottles we picked up were well away from the quarry itself.

Anyway thanks again and also to anyone else who picks up other peoples litter.

Colin

OP FBSF 19 Jun 2017
In reply to colinnave:

I live nearby and there are very few non climbers that use the quarry floor. Some kids from Eyam camp on top next to the footpath. Good to see other people are trying to keep the place clear, well done
It's a double edged sword picking litter up. The tw*ts that drop it don't see it as a problem and then it's cleared up so they don't see it accumulating.
 Pekkie 19 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:

Four dislikes now for having to take your shit home! Now if you four sociopaths will just identify yourselves....l know you won't.
 Simon Caldwell 19 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:

Or 4 dislikes that someone has been leaving litter. Whereas a depressing 35 like the fact that there was rubbish all over the place
 planetmarshall 19 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:

> Now if you four sociopaths will just identify yourselves....l know you won't.

I will, but mostly just because complaining about dislikes automatically gets a dislike from me. It's basically littering the forum.
 Seymore Butt 19 Jun 2017
In reply to FBSF:

If you think the rubbish is bad nowadays you should have witnessed the mess this lot made. The dogs (the 4 legged variety ie) were the worst culprits.

https://cdn.ukc2.com/i/238087.jpg

Al
In reply to Seymore Butt:

> If you think the rubbish is bad nowadays you should have witnessed the mess this lot made. The dogs (the 4 legged variety ie) were the worst culprits.

> Al

Wow, that brings back memories! What year was that? Seem to remember climbing Shot Yer Bolt with Geraldine accompanied by a pack of howling dogs trying to get in the rucksacks.
 Seymore Butt 19 Jun 2017
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Hi Paul

Can,t remember the date must be at least 20 yrs ago. It was before the bmc took over the ownership and raves were the in thing.
I remember the beat of the music made climbing strangely hypnotic at the time, or it could have been the stuff which everyone was smoking.

Al
 meggies 19 Jun 2017
In reply to FBSF:

They can leave the bluetooth phone speakers at home too
 stp 19 Jun 2017
In reply to FBSF:

Both disappointing and surprising that some of the culprits were climbers. By and large most crags I visit are spotless most of the time and the impression I have is that climbers in general have a very high regard for the environment. No doubt there are a few bad apples, and the good ones compensate by taking others sh*t back with - and full marks for that.

Good to raise the issue and hopefully some of the litterbugs will be reading and might be more careful in the future.
Andy Gamisou 20 Jun 2017
In reply to meggie:

> They can leave the bluetooth phone speakers at home too

Do that and I'll have to turn them up f*cking loud to hear them at the crag! Need to think of the neighbours you know.

colinnave 20 Jun 2017
In reply to FBSF:

We walked around the quarry yesterday approaching from Eyam. The little rubbish we found was mainly away from the climbing area. Overall it was "spotless" to quote stp. Lot's of orchids and other flowers on the approaches. It all looked very nice.

It is possible that the people who left the barbecues simply forgot or assumed other members of their group would tidy up. No a good excuse but I know I have left litter at crags.

Not half eaten sandwiches though, I go for the complete lunch. In February we eventually got some snow at a club meet in Glencoe and a few of us headed off to Aonach Mor. After a plod through thigh deep snow I emptied my rucksack to gear up at the bottom of Golden Oldy. It was still snowing. After the usual faffing I checked nothing was left lying around and we set off. A few hours up we stopped for a break and a bite to eat. Where is my food? Buried in the falling snow at the bottom. Fortunately my partners had plenty. I considered posting in the lost and found columns, offering a free lunch to anyone who found it. I didn't do this but have at last confessed.

So litter louts come in many guises. Some do it deliberately but others are just inherently careless.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...