GROUP TEST: Dedicated Rope Bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 16 Jun 2017
Group Test Rope Bags MOntage, 6 kbMost climbers own a rope bag, but few take much trouble in choosing one. Considering how much use you'll get out of it, however, a little extra thought could prove worthwhile. We compare 11 current models.

Read more
 Michael Hood 16 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC Gear: It would have been interesting to see how the humble IKEA ropebag compares to these. I believe it comes in 2 sizes now as well.

In reply to Michael Hood:
> It would have been interesting to see how the humble IKEA ropebag compares to these. I believe it comes in 2 sizes now as well.

You can check the previous review for that - https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3625

Having said that, it doesn't close, it doesn't compress, you can't carry it easily to the crag hand -free, it has no extra pockets and it doesn't include a tarp. We wouldn't have scored it very highly, but if you want a cheap/free bag then it may be all you need.

Alan
Post edited at 15:10
In reply to UKC Gear:

In the same vein of obvious omissions, I'm rather surprised that the simple and bombproof Beal Folio has not made it into either this review or the previous one - http://www.beal-planet.com/en/ropes-bags/87-accessoires-folio.html

It's the only rope bag on the market I've seen with a proper heavyweight tarp that isn't prone to flapping, folding over, crumpling up or otherwise doing anything other than staying exactly where you want it. It's certainly not perfect, the straps don't cinch tightly enough and there are no additional pockets but it performs the key task of keeping the rope off the ground with zero faff far better than anything else I've ever used. Also, the flimsy plastic buckles on my older version have been upgraded to metal on the current one.
 Fraser 16 Jun 2017
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

They're good but I find the tarp a bit too small for most use.
In reply to Fraser:
> They're good but I find the tarp a bit too small for most use.

It is certainly on the smaller side compared with others. However I don't have any particularly long ropes and find it fine with a single 60.
 llanberis36 17 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

Whats the world coming to, spending almost as much on a bag to keep your rope in, as your rucksack, not long ago we put the rope actually in the rucksacks, now we have two rucksacks, amazing..........and saying they are compressible , how on earth do you compress a rope......

Ikea all the way for short walk ins
 Fraser 17 Jun 2017
In reply to llanberis36:

> amazing..........and saying they are compressible , how on earth do you compress a rope......

You put it in a rope bag and pull the compression straps.

> Ikea all the way for short walk ins

IKEA bags are frankly guff as a rope bag, you need to flake the rope to get them into the bag, never mind when you're getting it out. And they don't have a tarp. Fine if you're a noob or numptie, otherwise, get a rope bag.

llanberis36 17 Jun 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Thank you for your advice, I am both a noob and numptie, and £40 better off for it
 Fraser 17 Jun 2017
In reply to llanberis36:

You're welcome. I'm happy to have paid the cost of the Trango tarp and not have to flake my rope after each and every climb.
 Wayne S 17 Jun 2017
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

I can't get over excited about ropebags, but the Edelrid Liner rope bag is the least faffy rope bag I have used, I particularly like how it funnels the rope back into the main compartment when you are done.
 AlanLittle 18 Jun 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

+1 for the Edelrid liner. Simple, cheapish, functional - and rolls thinly enough to fit neatly into the rope strap under a rucksack lid - rucksack and ropebag over the shoulder is a total pita for anything more than about five minutes of approach.
 petegunn 18 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

Would have been good to see how the bags faired when being suspended I.e when sea cliff climbing, some are long in width and maybe not as good as a deeper bag which hang better.
 humptydumpty 18 Jun 2017
In reply to petegunn:

> Would have been good to see how the bags faired when being suspended I.e when sea cliff climbing, some are long in width and maybe not as good as a deeper bag which hang better.

I find DMM Pitcher (not reviewed) very good for this. I'd be interested in seeing comparison with other similar bags.
 jwi 19 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

These have displaced the ikea shopping bag as the fashionable choice on sandy crags: https://www.manomano.fr/sac-a-dechets-1763?model_id=68962

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...