PRODUCT NEWS: New UK-made Ibex rucksacks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 15 Jun 2017
Alpkit Ibex thumbnail, 3 kbAlpkit UK manufacturing on the increase with new packs going into production.

Read more
 PPP 16 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

What happened to the brand that used to offer competitive prices?
 bouldery bits 16 Jun 2017
In reply to PPP:

Is £125 not competitive? I'd say, in the current market, it's about right for the product. If it lasts you a decade, that's good value
 TobyA 16 Jun 2017
In reply to PPP:

I wonder how long it takes for the pieces to be cut out and sewn together? Do you reckon a machinist can make multiple ones in an hour? I don't know but I doubt it.

Then add in all the material costs, and sunk costs like wharehousing, shipping, marketing etc.

Alpkit seem to be doing fine, but I doubt they make vast amounts of profit off these, plus they are employing people in manufacturing in the UK, funding their foundation which seems to do great stuff - isn't all that the type of stuff we should approve of?
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:
I really rate Alpkit and use several of their products. A more simplistic Gourdon, say between 30 - 50L, with alpine attachments, would have been a logical 'niche' product.

This pack is what Berghaus, Lowe Alpine, Karrimor, made in the 90's, a workhorse you could load up, stuff plastics into, a monster! Less is more, alpinism has moved on........

Stuart
Post edited at 15:54
 Wayne S 17 Jun 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

I guess It depends how good it is, I am hoping to see a POD Sac equivalent at some point. This looks pretty close!
 PeterM 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Wayne S:
All it needs is the hidden waist straps on the underside of the lid to make the lid a bum bag once removed, and it pretty much has all the features of my old POD Black Ice. It looks good - simple, straightforward. Not sure about the colour though......
A bigger version of the 20l Gourdon would be welcome too....
Post edited at 13:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...