Photo viewing software recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I've been using Canon's Zoombrowser software for years but could do with something a bit more up to date which works properly on Windows 10. What I mainly use it for is going through photos in a "slide show" with Mrs Jugitty, and we apply a star rating to each photo (one is rubbish, three is keep, five is print). That's pretty much it. If I could tag photos with keywords during a slideshow (in the EXIF data, not some third party database) that would be a bonus. Any recommendations please? I'd use Canon's Digital Photo Professional but the latest version doesn't support RAW from my EOS 40d properly.
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:
Not sure if I am miss understanding - certainly don't know anything about the two canon products you mention - but you are presumably are also processing if your using raw files?

Anyway, I use Lightroom which is the industry standard and it would do what your asking for - keywords, ratings, storing exif data - as well as processing raw files (though you would need to check your actual camera is supported). If not supported I think there is a work around using Adobes raw convertor to DNG and so you could convert to a DNG file first? Certainly would be worth looking into.

Others will no doubt correct me if I've got it wrong.
I bought a second hand Canon G11 and my Nikon viewing software wouldn't read the RAW files so I use Google Picassa to do that and it works well including a simple slide show feature. Some very basic processing features are also included.
 Matt Vigg 14 Jun 2017

Sounds like you are processing raw so lightroom is a very good choice as said above, miles better than DPP. You can purchase it outright if you don't like the subscribe model, takes a bit of searching on the site but there's info on blogs about the links you need to go through to buy the installed version.
In reply to:

Thanks all. I'll take a look at buying Lightroom.

jockster 14 Jun 2017

Hassleblad Phocus is worth a look and free

Photo Mechanic is great for bashing through raw files, tagging and bagging. All in for $150. http://www.camerabits.com/tour-v5/

If you're serious about RAW processing, the Capture One Pro - industry standard with regards to quality, and batch raw processing is fast and a doddle.

Source: London based Digital Op
 Pbob 04 Jul 2017

Darktable is ok
 Acrid Dragon 27 Jul 2017

I use Lightroom which is the industry standard and it would do what your asking for - keywords, ratings, storing exif data -
as well as processing raw files (though you would need to check your actual camera is supported).
If not supported I think there is a work around using Adobes raw convertor to DNG and so you could convert to a DNG file first? Moreover you can find many free presets for example on Fixthephoto website.
Certainly would be worth looking into.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...