Things to do in Scotland (without a rope)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 11 Jun 2017
I'm heading to Scotland on a motorbike next week with a friend. Does anyone have a recommendations for things to do, anything from places to go or activities. Our rough plan is to ride the coast road and drink some whiskey. I might take a pair of walking boots to do some scrambling/hill walking. Open to any recommendations or tips
 Bob Kemp 11 Jun 2017
In reply to Kemics:
If you can afford it, get a boat trip or two in. Went on an RIB round the Lewis sea-stacks and micro-islands once. The guy went like a bat out of hell. It was brilliant. But even a more sedate wild-life watching trip is fun. Not cheap, and weather-dependent of course.
Post edited at 13:41
 jonnie3430 11 Jun 2017
In reply to Kemics:

Wrong place for whiskey I'm afraid, though I would think the combination of whisky and a motorbike would work well on the road from braemar to granton on Spey, which is a whisky trail of some sort (Glenlivet is on that section, most speysides are close,) along with great views and sweeping? corners. I drove it a few weeks ago and plan on going back on my bike. It would be a good alternative to the a9 as well.

Most of what I do is weather dependent, as your on bikes I'd definitely suggest chasing weather, poor on the east coast, go West and vice versa. Sometimes going very far west works, and you can link islands going south if you take the ferry from Skye or ullapool to Stornoway, going south through Lewis and Harris, ending up in Oban for the trip home.
 Dave the Rave 11 Jun 2017
In reply to Kemics:

https://westernislescruises.co.uk/
Relatively cheap. Saw a whale last year. Good pub at Inverie. They do other options that allow a walk along Loch Nevis which is nice.
In reply to Kemics:

If you're Mallaig, get a CalMac day ticket for the small isles tour and cruise for £16.....some brilliant sites to see Eigg, Muck, Canna and Rum....don't get off the midges will eat you!!!
 Siward 11 Jun 2017
In reply to Kemics:

My tip- remember Scotland's very low drink drive limit in the mornings!
And speed traps in Lochearnhead in particular.
 aln 11 Jun 2017
In reply to Kemics:

Without a rope? Bouldering?
Removed User 11 Jun 2017
In reply to Kemics:

Get the new SMC Highlands Scrambles South guidebook. Written by one of this parish.
 Andy Hardy 11 Jun 2017
In reply to Kemics:

I believe midge shooting season has opened. A supreme test of marksmanship.

Or you could cheat, and use a net.
 Dave the Rave 11 Jun 2017
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> I believe midge shooting season has opened. A supreme test of marksmanship.Or you could cheat, and use a net.

The Red Squirrel ones were fireproof on Monday!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...