The Perfumed Mountaineer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Kemball 10 Jun 2017
A programme about W. A. Poucher, I've just listened to this on iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hf12x I'm not sure how much longer it will be available for, but it's well worth listening to.
 wilkesley 10 Jun 2017
In reply to Mark Kemball:

I think that this is a repeat of an old program, which was well worth listening to. I still look at my Poucher books, which I bought in the early seventies when I began hillwalking.
OP Mark Kemball 10 Jun 2017
In reply to wilkesley:

Yes, I'm fairly certain it's a repeat - it's via Radio 4 Extra.
 Dave Hewitt 10 Jun 2017

My pal Warbeck and I have long both been big fans of Poucher. One little-known fact is that in the famous TV clip from 1980 where Grace Jones slaps Russell Harty, Poucher is one of the other guests, looking slightly bemused by it all:

youtube.com/watch?v=iz_UHLfZKAA&
Rigid Raider 10 Jun 2017

Poucher's book Soap Perfumes and Cosmetics (or some such title) is still considered a "bible" in the personal care products industry.
 michaelb1 10 Jun 2017
In reply to Mark
Thanks for the link, there are some nice reminiscences in there from Dennis Gray of him turning up at the Cow and calf to chat and take photographs back in the 50s whilst wearing make up. Poucher seemed like a most distinguished and unusual man. Good discussion of his books, and their rather flowery language - each hilltop a 'lofty eminence', each viewpoint a 'belvedere' and when it snowed the hills were 'in their full winter raiment'. We need a bit more of that.
 Rob Exile Ward 10 Jun 2017
In reply to michaelb1:

Not a man afraid of giving offence! Went to Plynlimon last weekend partly inspired by the totally contemptuous write up Poucher gave it in his Welsh Peaks: 'There is absolutely nothing to relieve the monotony of the landscape on this route...'

On the other hand, I first came across his Scottish Peaks when I was 15, page after page of wonderful mountain photos to inspire. They still do.
 ad111 10 Jun 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
I hope you enjoyed Plynlimon (and remembered to bring wellies for the walk-in). I used to really like going up there!
Post edited at 18:38
 Sean Kelly 10 Jun 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
"On the other hand, I first came across his Scottish Peaks when I was 15, page after page of wonderful mountain photos to inspire. They still do."

Just got mine off the shelf, dated 1967 by me. The first climbing guide I ever bought!
Post edited at 22:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...