Rope Access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Emilio Bachini 08 Jun 2017
Hello UKC people, thanks for taking the time to read this in advance.

I'm currently in a position where I could pursue a few ideas, one of them being Rope Access work.

I don't have any qualifications and experience other than climbing and possibly a bit of climbing photography knowledge.

So starting from fresh does anyone have any advice, suggestions or ideas they'd care to share in regards to courses, locations, companies, further qualifications and ultimately working in the industry?

Again I don't have any qualifications that I feel would benefit rope access work other than little bits of gardening work.

I'm based around Richmond, North Yorkshire at the moment, just so people know, so certain locations aren't as much of an option.

Please feel free to private message me if you care to communicate that way. Thanks again everyone, Emilio.
 Rich W Parker 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Emilio Bachini:

Hi Emilio, you may have read my article, but if not here it is:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=6832

Not easy times in RA these days, but if you go for it I recommend Talon in Edinburgh for training. There are, of course, training schools all over the place these days and probably one closer to you.
Best of luck.
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Hello Rich, thanks for commenting. I have read your article before but just had another go.

Thank you also for your suggestion and mentioning things aren't easy these days.

Emilio.
 payney1973 09 Jun 2017
Welcome to the club mate, I did my IRATA and my GWOs at AIS Solutions in Newcastle, great place and has its own digs.
Trying to get a foot in the door is difficult most companies want experienced climbers or techs (age old) get as many tickets under your belt as possible to give you best chance of finding work (it can be a money pit).
Good luck mate!
 Jenny C 09 Jun 2017

These days the rope access industry is flooded with workers so wages aren't really going up and being work as a newby isn't easy. With no relevant qualifications I would think hard before forking out for the training, personal rope kit and other essential courses without which it is pretty much impossible to work on a UK building site.

Be very aware that a lot of work is on railtrack or powerstations where drug testing of staff is often part of the induction. Also do you want to spend your life living in grotty cheap B&Bs living out of an overnight bag? Getting fat from living off takeaways and not having time to climb?

Re training, Access Techniques in Sheffield or Mark Wright Training in Rotherham.
In reply to payney1973:

Many thanks, Emilio.
In reply to Jenny C:

Hello Jenny, thanks for the information. Lots to think about and I really appreciate hearing from you and your time. Sincerely Emilio.
Hi Emilio,

I did my ticket in October and have been working for the last couple of months in Rope Access - I only have my level 1 but have done various building work and built climbing walls previously.

I did my ticket at access techniques in Sheffield which I'd highly recommend. I work for CAN who are based in Chesterfield. It's been a little quiet so far but usually they have lots of work (and you don't need loads of tickets to work for them)

I'm currently on working on an old listed building in Birmingham and really enjoying it!

There obviously pros and cons to the work (like all jobs)

If you have any questions feel free to reply/message me. Obviously I am new to the job so may be making it out to be great because I haven't become disillusioned to it yet!
 Wsdconst 10 Jun 2017
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

Is there a lot of work for qualified tradespersons in the rope access industry ? I'm a bricklayer/general builder and really fancy a change of scenery and a new challenge.
 koolkat 10 Jun 2017
In reply to Wsdconst:

not a lot of call for a bricky on the ropes
 Wsdconst 10 Jun 2017
In reply to koolkat:

> not a lot of call for a bricky on the ropes

A lot of the work I do is restoration work of old buildings, repairs and repointing etc, I was thinking more along those lines tbh. I'm just looking for a change of scenery I suppose.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...