Brexit Backing Right Wing Media's Tax Haven Roots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 07 Jun 2017
https://veritasetlibertasdeannolxxxix.wordpress.com/

To protect their wealth from tax authorities, Britain’s tax avoiding media barons wanted you to leave the EU and now they want you to vote Tory on June 8.

Ahead of the EU referendum, pro-Brexit media blamed the EU for increasing the increasing number of migrants, accused Angela Merkel of bullying Britain, condemned High Court judges as “Enemies of the people”, influencing British people to vote to leave the EU.

Just like politicians that work together around a common policy, there is a common conviction that distinguishes a particular news agency. Regarding the pro-Brexit mass communication campaigners, most of them are owned by wealthy tax-avoiding billionaires. Rupert Murdoch owns The Sun, Barclay Brothers own The Telegraph, Richard Desmond owns Daily Express, and Lord Rothermere owns Daily Mail.

Richard Desmond’s Tax Profile

“New Express owner Richard Desmond’s huge publishing and TV sex empire has paid just £200,000 in corporation tax since it was established eight years ago, The Observer can reveal… His two main holding companies – Northern & Shell Group Ltd and Portland Investments Ltd – are owned by trusts in Guernsey, the Channel Islands tax haven.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2000/dec/24/pressandpublishing.dailyexpre...

Lord Rothermere’s Tax Profile

“Sonia Sinclair remembers sitting next to Rothermere at a party for Imelda Marcos at the Philippines embassy. ‘Vere turned to me towards the end of dinner and said: ‘I’m leaving this country tomorrow for good. It’s absolutely essential, otherwise I’ll be virtually ruined by taxation, and I feel terribly strongly about keeping the empire together.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/panorama-truth-about-tax.h...

Rupert Murdoch’s Tax Profile

“Rupert Murdoch’s media conglomerate News Corp. lobbied in favor of the new Panama free trade pact, according to federal lobbying disclosure forms — a pact that will make it more difficult for the U.S. government to crack down on Panama-related tax abuses. Panama is a notorious tax haven, and News Corp. also operates a subsidiary there.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/19/rupert-murdoch-corporate-tax-panam...

Sirs David and Frederick Barclay Tax Profile

“London’s high-end Ritz hotel has not paid any corporation tax in the 17 years since it was taken over by the reclusive Barclay twins…The accounts show that the profitable hotel has used a series of tax reliefs to reduce its corporation tax to zero.”

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-20761560/barclay-twins-ritz-hotel-pays-no-cor...

To comprehend UK’s pro-Brexit press sudden change of hearts regarding the EU, one has to review the proposed regulations Brussels intends to enact that might threaten the owners of the Sun, the Telegraph, Daily Mail and Daily Express.

Back in the days, most of the pro-Brexit media backed Britain joining the EU, but over the last three years, their editorial policy has changed drastically. Unaware of the cunning aptitude of the Sun, the Telegraph, Daily Mail and Daily Express to deceive the British voters, the EU decided to crack down on tax-evaders of its member states.

“The new EU listing process is part of the EU’s campaign to clamp down on tax evasion and avoidance and promote fairer taxation, within the EU and globally. It was proposed by the Commission in the External Strategy for Effective Taxation in January 2016, and endorsed by EU Finance Ministers in May. The European Parliament has also repeatedly expressed support for an EU listing process.”

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-16-2997_en.htm

Once the referendum was announced, to protect their offshore accounts and trusts, wealthy British individuals with offshore accounts and trusts, ignited their propaganda engines through the Sun, the Telegraph, Daily Mail and Daily Express to persuade British voters to leave the EU.

Mr Farage himself confirmed that the EU should keep their hands off British businesses. At the end of his BBC interview reflecting on the Supreme Court’s decision, Mr Farage revealed the true intention of his BREXIT campaign, stating:

“Well, we would be half-Brexiting is my guess – is that legally we may get out of some aspects of EU membership, but if we stay in the single market, we finish up with all our businesses being regulated somewhere else and indeed a court in Luxembourg that can overrule our own Supreme Court and if that happens it will a supreme act of betrayal.”

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37861487

Mr Farage emphasised that: “if we stay in the single market, we finish up with all our businesses being regulated somewhere else”, singling it out as a supreme act betrayal. Apparently, Mr Farage also tried to avoid paying his taxes by opening an offshore trust fund.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukip-leader-nigel-farage-admits-197298...

Thanks to UKIP and Tories, wealthy tax-evading individuals will continue to enjoy their tax havens free from EU regulations, whilst Britain’s little people will be subjected to either higher taxes or extreme austerity measures.
 krikoman 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Wasn't Rudd involved in some offshore shenanigans too?
Jim C 08 Jun 2017
In reply to krikoman:
> Wasn't Rudd involved in some offshore shenanigans too?

Not sure, the one I remember was the Cameron family, and Osborne ( I think the Osborn's dodged paying any corporation tax for 7 years)

Edit add Nadhim Zahawi

Edit add link, too many to mention apparently..
https://politicalscrapbook.net/2013/06/conservative-party-donors-tax-havens...
Post edited at 02:56
 summo 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Doesn't the far left loving guardian puts it's money offshore?

Didn't Juncker turn Luxembourg into a tax haven?
In reply to summo:

> Doesn't the far left loving guardian puts it's money offshore?

Even if it does, they're not on the ballot!

summo 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:
> Even if it does, they're not on the ballot!

That is true. But then again we never did get a choice over Juncker did we, or at least not directly.

The corbinistas are happy to read articles in the guardian though, even though it does the very thing they claim to oppose.
Post edited at 08:00
 Dauphin 08 Jun 2017
In reply to summo:

Guardian hated Corbyn until about two weeks ago when they decided he may stand a chance and they didn't want to be left out in the cold.

D
 lummox 08 Jun 2017
In reply to summo:

> Doesn't the far left loving guardian

bit early in the day to start drinking isn't it ?
 Pekkie 08 Jun 2017
In reply to summo:

> Doesn't the far left loving guardian puts it's money offshore?

Maybe but it would never misuse an apostrophe. Let's get our priorities right.

OP Timmd 08 Jun 2017
In reply to summo:
> Doesn't the far left loving guardian puts it's money offshore?Didn't Juncker turn Luxembourg into a tax haven?

I make or imply no claims about anything not in the OP.
Post edited at 18:18
 summo 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:

> Maybe but it would never misuse an apostrophe. Let's get our priorities right.

Its been wasting ink for year's. So whats a few apostrophes here and there going to change.
 summo 08 Jun 2017
In reply to lummox:

> bit early in the day to start drinking isn't it ?

Had little choice when a poll suggested corbyn was closing in.
 summo 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> I make or imply no claims about anything not in the OP.

But it is selective. Tory supported tax havens are bad. Eu or guardian newspaper tax havens are acceptable by Labour?
 stevieb 08 Jun 2017
In reply to summo:

> But it is selective. Tory supported tax havens are bad. Eu or guardian newspaper tax havens are acceptable by Labour?

I think on this site it's mostly the right wingers who support companies who use Luxembourg, Ireland and the Netherlands for aggressive tax avoidance
 summo 08 Jun 2017
In reply to stevieb:

> I think on this site it's mostly the right wingers who support companies who use Luxembourg, Ireland and the Netherlands for aggressive tax avoidance

But they leap to the defence of the eu who were happy with Juncker doing so. Their leaders even made him the eu supremo despite the fact that it channeled tax that should have been shared round all the eu nations, only to Luxembourg. It's so bad, it's not even comical. There are plenty here who won't hear a bad word about him.
 Pekkie 08 Jun 2017
In reply to summo:

> Its been wasting ink for year's. So whats a few apostrophes here and there going to change.

In your opinion. In my opinion it's the best, most truthful and interesting paper available.
 Pekkie 08 Jun 2017
In reply to summo:

> Its been wasting ink for year's.

And your apostrophes are still all to fxck.

OP Timmd 08 Jun 2017
In reply to summo:
> But it is selective. Tory supported tax havens are bad.

> Eu or guardian newspaper tax havens are acceptable by Labour?

By necessity, all articles are selective. What I linked to in the OP isn't saying that they're acceptable, and I'm not. What I've shared is about the shaping of political opinion by newspaper owners with something financial to gain if they succeed (it looks like they did), who aren't elected by the people who's vote they influence. Which strikes me as undemocratic.

While I don't agree with the Guardian's tax practices, they're not and haven't been, trying to shape public opinion towards enabling them to keep their current tax status which is beneficial for them, like the owners of the pro Brexit press can be argued to have been doing.

This OP is about the people of the UK being swayed to vote - as already mentioned. I'm planning on writing into the Guardian on their tax hypocrisy by the way, to see if they publish it.
Post edited at 19:41
 summo 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:

> And your apostrophes are still all to fxck.

And you don't think that might have been deliberate? Do pendants not get a day off to vote.
 krikoman 08 Jun 2017
In reply to summo:

> But it is selective. Tory supported tax havens are bad. Eu or guardian newspaper tax havens are acceptable by Labour?

Labour aren't in power YET, so I don't see how you can blame them for a tax loophole that Theresa is allowing to continue, while closing hospitals willy nilly.
pasbury 08 Jun 2017
In reply to summo:

> Do pendants not get a day off to vote.

No, like me they spend all day flapping.

summo 08 Jun 2017
In reply to krikoman:

> Labour aren't in power YET, so I don't see how you can blame them for a tax loophole that Theresa is allowing to continue, while closing hospitals willy nilly.

Please read my post. Where did I blame Labour?

Ps. although now you mention it, Labour were in office for 3 terms whilst juncker was president of Luxembourg implementing his tax haven and said precisely nothing about it and the guardian haven't just started to offshore since 2010.
 stevieb 08 Jun 2017
In reply to summo:

Juncker is a right of centre politician who was selected as a presidential candidate by the right of centre block in the EU.
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone with a good word for him on this site.
 Pekkie 08 Jun 2017
In reply to summo:

> And you don't think that might have been deliberate? Do pendants not get a day off to vote.

I might be a pedant but I'm not a piece of jewellery. Though, there again, flicks gorgeous quiff
 summo 08 Jun 2017
In reply to stevieb:

> Juncker is a right of centre politician who was selected as a presidential candidate by the right of centre block in the EU. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone with a good word for him on this site.

So maybe the UK is better off out and away from hypocritical eu nations and leaders, given that the UK was one of few who opposed him taking the post.
 Pekkie 08 Jun 2017
In reply to stevieb:

> Juncker is a right of centre politician who was selected as a presidential candidate by the right of centre block in the EU. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone with a good word for him on this site.

The trouble with the Juncker was that, while it was a pretty good aeroplane, it didn't have the range or the defensive armament to combat the Spitfires and Hurricanes it came up against.
 stevieb 08 Jun 2017
In reply to summo:

Yes, I always thought that control of corporation tax is a possible positive outcome from brexit. But the fact that I never heard it once during the debate, and the fact that we are one of the biggest defenders of tax havens, I'm not all that hopeful.
 stevieb 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:

Had the best sound effects though.

Oh damn, I've supported junker on the forum now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...