Boot Recommendations for Summer Alpine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt250 06 Jun 2017
Hi. I currently have some scarpa rebel lite boots and used them last summer in the alps up to AD. I'm heading to the alps again this summer and would like to get something a bit stiffer and a bit warmer as I found the rebels a bit soft especially when front-pointing down a snow slope.

Has anyone got any recommendations of what to try on? I'll probably be going up to AD+ this summer and maybe a bit harder in the future. Ideally I'd like to avoid having to buy more pairs of stiffer/warmer
boots in the future! Also the rebel lites are a great fit for me and I like how light they are.

Also is there any need to go for a B3 boot for summer alpine? I can't see myself doing any routes above D in the future really.
 Pipecleaner 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Matt250:

Id definitely try a pair of scarpa charmoz OD...ive got rebels too and the charmoz OD is a bit stiffer, a bit warmer and not a huge ammount heavier...they see. Bomb proof so far unlike the rebels which i seem to have destroyed at a rate of one pair a year for 3 years running...but are superbly comfy and capable so i keep buying more!
In reply to Matt250:

Can also vouch for the Charmoz (old version). I've worn them in some pretty grim UK conditions and been surprised how warm they've been, also walked through a lot of bracken/scree in those 'off-grid' moments and they don't show it.
 Misha 07 Jun 2017
In reply to Matt250:
La Sportiva Ice Cubes are light, stiff and plenty warm enough for summer alpine, plus they have an integral fairer to keep the shoelaces tucked in. They come at a price though. I've used Scarpa Jorasses or Charmoz as well, they were fine but heavier.
 timmeehhhh 07 Jun 2017
In reply to Matt250:

I tried out the new LS Trango Tower in the shop the other day, the fit was not for me, although I did notice that the shoe felt stiffer and more insulated than the Trango S Evo it replaced.
OP Matt250 07 Jun 2017
Thanks all. I'll try as many of those on as possible.
 99ster 07 Jun 2017
In reply to Matt250:

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be available in this country but the Scarpa Rebel Pro GTX are a fabulous B3 Alpine boot:

https://www.scarpa.com/rebel-pro-gtx

...I had to order mine from Germany.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...