Low grade Snowdonia route recommendations for three (or not...)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Otis 05 Jun 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for recommended multipitch routes to climb as a party of three in Snowdonia. I tend to do all the leading with my current partners - they're both solid climbers, but haven't done much leading or multipitch routes.

I guess I'm looking at the Diff to Severe grade range, ideally with fairly accommodating belay ledges. We'll be climbing on half ropes, with one second on each.

Are there any routes well worth seeking out or, equally importantly, are there any routes worth avoiding when climbing three-up due to ropework issues and traverses etc.

Cheers,

Mike.
In reply to Otis:

Clogwyn yr oen, moelwynion. Beautiful setting, usually quietish, nice rock, south facing. Loads of routes that fit your requirements, including slack (s), Kirkus climb (v diff), kirkus climb direct (s), chic, bent and pied piper. Have climbed as a three there before and i can't remember any problems with stances.
 LJJ77 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Otis:

You could try one of the saintly routes on Idwal slabs hope, charity or faith and link up with Lazarus a bit of a traverse but no problem if you do it in the two pitches suggested then you have a choice of the arete, upper staircase or groove above all the routes range from vdiff to severe
Maybe the milestone buttress might be worth considering three good routes rowan, pulpit/ivy chimney and direct route or for a big mountain day head over to Amphitheatre buttress on Crag y Isfa a nice Vdiff in a fantastic setting
In reply to Otis:

The Sub Cneifion Rib is a perfect route for your requirements. I lead two people up it a few years ago and it was a great outing. It did take a bit of working out with the ropes (two half ropes are required) to protect both "seconds" from a potential swing on the final crux pitch though. Therefore a good knowledge of rope work would be essential.
 mop449 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Otis:

Grooved Arête (HVD 4a)

Climbed this as a three in the same style you are suggesting last week. Very very fun climbing. Only one belay ledge that isn't a huge ledge.

An epic route
 Climbthatpitch 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Otis:

I found Table Direct (VD) followed by Cyfrwy Arete (Summer) (D) is a lovely day out

Big enough belay ledges for 3
 Trangia 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Otis:

Milestone Buttress, Idwall Slabs (Faith, Hope and Charity. Tennis Shoe), Grooved Arete, First Pinnacle Rib, and Second Pinnacle Rib, Horned Crag, Amphitheatre Buttress, Spiral Stairs, Flying Buttress, Outside Edge, Lockwoods Chimney.

All great routes, although can get crowded, particularly at weekends, so early starts recommended
 evansliam 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Otis:

Ampitheater Buttress (HVS 5a)

Me and my partner climbed this recently, nice varied climbing (aside from the occasional scramble) with an interesting finish to it. plenty of large ledges for 3 and we did it in the sopping wet to make it more interesting!
 evansliam 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Otis:

Amphitheatre Buttress (VD)

apologies wrong climb linked!
 Cornish boy 12 Jun 2017
In reply to Trangia:
Some great suggestions from Trangia. However, as leeboy mentioned i would also recommend Cyfrwy Arete via Table Direct as a cracking route when climbing as a three. It's a brilliant mountaineering day out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...