Belts for water etc for running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 05 Jun 2017
Having recently been surprised by how much water I drink while running on occasions when I can get hold of extra, e.g. by conscripting my husband to meet me for a support stop, I have just bought one of those belts with a couple of little water bottles, to increase what I can carry, and it also takes my phone and jelly babies. Relatively inexpensive from Decathlon.

On my first attempt with it yesterday there doesn't seem to be much of a margin between the belt being too tight so that I get a stitch, or being loose enough to ride round my waist requiring adjustment now and then.

This is (a) only a very mild irritation and (b) insoluble, isn't it? Just checking in case there are any bright ideas out there
 timjones 05 Jun 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Having recently been surprised by how much water I drink while running on occasions when I can get hold of extra, e.g. by conscripting my husband to meet me for a support stop, I have just bought one of those belts with a couple of little water bottles, to increase what I can carry, and it also takes my phone and jelly babies. Relatively inexpensive from Decathlon.On my first attempt with it yesterday there doesn't seem to be much of a margin between the belt being too tight so that I get a stitch, or being loose enough to ride round my waist requiring adjustment now and then.This is (a) only a very mild irritation and (b) insoluble, isn't it? Just checking in case there are any bright ideas out there

how about a natty pair of braces
 the sheep 05 Jun 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I would be interested in what others use. Currently my wife's ploy for longer runs is the same as yours, have me waiting at some point on the route! She doesn't like holding a bottle so would be interested to know what others do.
 The New NickB 05 Jun 2017
In reply to the sheep:

I'm not a fan of carrying water and generally avoid it unless I am running 20 miles plus, or a bit less if it is a hot day.

I'm not a fan of Camelbak / Platypus type hydration systems either. I've found that the Camelbak Delaney is the most stable water belt. It takes a single Camelbak bottle and has a small pocket.
 steelbru 05 Jun 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

One of the minimalist Salomon vests that carry 2 * 500ml soft flasks on the shoulder straps, so you can drink from them without removing them from the pockets - very comfortable, hardly know it's there, and the soft flasks collapse as you drink from them, so there is a lot less "sloshing" compared to chest mounted bottles.
Great storage pockets on front, side and back. They come with varying amount of storage ( over and above the flasks ) from 1L to 12 L. Not cheap though !!

eg http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/s-lab-sense-ultra-set.html has 3 litres additional storage which covers food, waterproof, spare base layer.
OP BusyLizzie 05 Jun 2017
In reply to steelbru:

Some great suggestions here, thank you all. I shall regard the Decathlon jobby as an interim measure and spend a bit more on something better when I've done a few more long runs.

Up to 20 miles now; first marathon in September!!
In reply to timjones:

> how about a natty pair of braces

Well I did wonder about a bra attachment
In reply to steelbru:

Crikey, yes, that Salomon vest looks like one for next year's birthday wishlist
 Gone 05 Jun 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Can you adjust it so it rides on your hips rather than around your waist? It is a better position for women to carry weight, and for me reduces jiggling too as there is a padded base for it to sit on.
 stubbed 05 Jun 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I take a foldable cup (or one made out of paper) in my belt, which has only a small pocket, and fill up from a tap somewhere. Or I take a quid and buy some.
Ste Brom 06 Jun 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

An inov8 race vest with one bottle and a water filter (if in hills for a long un)

Waist belts are such a drag, man. Adjust, run, stop, readjust, repeat....
 Curry 06 Jun 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

They're not cheap but I like the Nathan handheld bottles for most runs. Zipped pocket on the side for keys. The design of the strap means you're not clenching your fist and so reduces the shoulder tension. Takes some getting used to carrying the weight.
 hamsforlegs 06 Jun 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Agree with Curry's approach. I never tried the Nathan bottles, but got on well with Ultimate Direction handhelds.

The strap is well designed and you can squeeze in cards, gels etc (though have to admit never bothered with phone).

Feels a bit cumbersome at first, but you quickly adjust to keep your hands a bit lower and more still, and I found it had less effect on the rest of my running gait than packs/vests etc.
OP BusyLizzie 07 Jun 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

A further thank you to all for the good ideas.

My Christmas list is getting quite long...
OP BusyLizzie 26 Jun 2017
In reply to Gone:

> Can you adjust it so it rides on your hips rather than around your waist?

... Yes, after another attempt - hugely better that way, thank you. I knew there was a reason for all the squidgyness around my hips!

yorkshireman 28 Jun 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

An extra option. I often do very long training runs in the Alps (5-6 hours+) and in the summer I can't carry enough water. Drinking from village fountains is sometimes OK but I'm not always guaranteed to be down in the valley but i've started taking this soft flask which filters the water from streams and dodgy fountains as soon as you use it.

https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/14946-8019639-katadyn-beefree-water-filtratio...

You can drink fill and drink straight from it, and also use it to fill other bottles you might have with you.
OP BusyLizzie 28 Jun 2017
In reply to yorkshireman:

Awesome.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...