Patagonia Air Nano Jacket Fit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 asteclaru 05 Jun 2017

I've bought a Patagonia Air Nano Jacket (hoodless) at what I think is a decent price for this jacket. I intend to use this as a mid layer :

- in colder summer days or milder winter days under a softshell (Rab Torque), replacing my mid weight fleece (Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man Grid)
- in colder winter days, over the mid weight fleece and under a hardshell (Sherpa Lithang)

I'm quite broad shouldered, which requires me to wear XL clothing, but rather short (around 177 cm), so usually XL clothes are too long for me. The jacket is big and stretchy enough to fit me rather well in both these situations, apart from the length, which is about 2 inches longer than I like it and as a result sticks out from the layers over it.

I haven't been walking or climbing with any of these combinations yet and this is only from wearing them around the house to see what fits with what. Would the extra length pose an issue if I needed to, say, wear a harness? I do like the jacket and the price was really good, so I wouldn't want to return it, but at the same time I want to get one that I'm happy with the fit as well, so what would you do?

I should add that I run quite hot, so I went for the Nano Air because it's supposed to be very breathable while giving decent warmth as well. If Rab had something similar, I'd go for their jacket, as they fit me close to perfectly.

Thanks,

Ben
Post edited at 12:21
 BnB 05 Jun 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

You won't need as many layers as you think. Just the nano air and a tee shirt suffices for all but full winter as long as you're on the move. The wonder of the garment is that you won't overheat, thanks to the breathability, despite the amount of warmth it generates. And no it doesn't matter if it's a bit longer.
OP asteclaru 05 Jun 2017
In reply to BnB:

I know I won't need them; I run really hot so in cold summer or mild winter I reckon I should be fine with just a baselayer + a light fleece and the Rab Torque on top : I know it's not very relevant, but last time I've been walking, I was ok with just a long sleeve base layer while most in my group had to put their fleeces and jackets on (one lady had 6 layers and was still cold).

I'm only thinking of a 'just in case' type of situation here
 Pipecleaner 24 Jun 2017
In reply to asteclaru:
Hi, ive got a couple of nano air hoodies, the older is about two and a half years old ans now noticeably cooler to wear...its been worn and packed an awful lot. That said i can still wear it in the winter with a thin long sleeve or t shirt and its perfect for cold mountain days. A superlight waterproof on top if i stop keeps me comfy for breaks and a thicker layer for prolonged stops and im fine.
I should say i do a lot of fell running and ive never taken a nano air out...it would be too warm for me for proper running and its not very packable so id rather take something like a thin alpha jacket or if heading somwhere colder a (yes i know nobody likes them cos theyre expensive/overpriced) nuclei sl from arcteryx...very warm for how little space it takes up.
Re: length the only problem i have with the nano air is the bottom hem poking out from under a hardshell in wet weather and getting soaked...it also dries fairly slowly tho ive never felt cold or wet when the outer of the nano air has been pretty saturated.
Usually take the stylish approach and tuck the nano air into my waterproof trousers and it stays dry!

Good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...