TMB Comparison - Snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 05 Jun 2017

A week ago Friday I walked - on the hottest day of the year - from Idwal Cottage up beside the Devil's Kitchen, through all the boulders, and then up the notorious scree slope to traverse the Glyderau descending through Cwm Tryfan.

OK, I didn't set any speed records due to the heat and rests etc. However I'd be grateful if anyone who is familiar with the Glyderau and has done the TMB could give me some inkling as to how this compares with anything I might encounter on the TMB(disregarding the time/distance) I am NOT going via the Fenetre d'Arpette.

Thanks
Post edited at 10:27
 toad 05 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

it was 20 years ago, but when i did it the tmb paths were in the main a bit easier than this route, but the days were longer. There were a couple of ladder sections in the aguille rouge, and a couple of knee crunching long descents, but all very comparable, technically speaking
OP mypyrex 05 Jun 2017
In reply to toad:

Thanks. From what I've seen on the internet there doesn't seem to be anything(apart from the ladder sections) that compares with either the Devil's Kitchen path or the scree slope up to Glyder Fawr. Just looking for others' comparisons.
OP mypyrex 05 Jun 2017
Be pleased to hear more comments.
 Jenny Dart 05 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I assume, as you are not doing the fenetre, that you are not doing the southern high pass, Col de fours either? Because that was like Devils kitchen on steroids!!

We did it clockwise. There is quite a drag up the aiguillette des posettes, and then up the ski slopes the other side of courmayeur, but not scree slopes. Nice path, but steep going!
 Jenny Dart 05 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Oh and how could I forget up to Brevent from Les houches....many many many steps.

But perhaps you are going anti-clockwise.

We did it 4 years ago
 robert-hutton 05 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
Yes it's different from the Welsh paths 90© of the route is more like the Llanberris path and not technical at all even the ladders are short and not overly exposed.
Some of the descents seem to go on forever but the views around are super.
Post edited at 18:28
OP mypyrex 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Jenny Dart:

> But perhaps you are going anti-clockwise.
Yes.
Les Houches, Les Contamines, Col de la Bonhomme, Refuge de la Nova, Courmayeur, Champex. Alp Bovine, Trient, Ref. Flegere, Les Houches.
OP mypyrex 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Jenny Dart:

> I assume, as you are not doing the fenetre,
Correct. Twenty-thirty years ago maybe but age takes its toll!
OP mypyrex 05 Jun 2017
In reply to robert-hutton:

Thanks for that. I needn't worry about doing the Devil's Kitchen and the scree slope too often before I go then!
 Jenny Dart 05 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Have a great time!
OP mypyrex 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Jenny Dart:

> Have a great time!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I'm using huts so I won't have to carry too much gear.(see how long I can go with one pair of Y fronts ;o})
abseil 05 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I'm using huts so I won't have to carry too much gear.(see how long I can go with one pair of Y fronts ;o})

Good for you, Mypyrex. Hope you have lots of fun on your trip.
 Roadrunner5 09 Jun 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Nothing, but I ran it OK off snowdonia training.. I had a 3000ers loop with maximum ascent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...