Trail running shoes for hobbit feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 afshapes 04 Jun 2017
I'm after some new trail shoes and I have hobbit feet. My current trail shoes are Adidas kanadia but I've tried some new ones and they don't seem you fit right. I wear asics gt2000 on the road and the last is perfect for me. So any tips or suggestions ?
 BusyLizzie 04 Jun 2017
In reply to afshapes:

Hobbit feet ... hairy? But aren't everybody's? Give us a clue about shape please
 Michael Hood 04 Jun 2017
In reply to afshapes:
I thought hobbits went barefoot.

But seriously, get yourself to a proper running shop where they can give you some decent advice and there are plenty of different shoes to try on.
Post edited at 19:59
 steelbru 04 Jun 2017
In reply to afshapes:

I'd second going to a running shop and trying on lots to see what feels good.

As a starting point, since Asics road shoes fit you well, you could look at Asics trail shoes - the trail shoes all have Fuji in the model name : Fuji Runnegade, Fuji Trabuco, Fuji Attack, etc
 bouldery bits 04 Jun 2017
In reply to afshapes:

Inov8 x-talon wide fit.
OP afshapes 05 Jun 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Ha ! Not too hairy actually Liz ! Wide and flat !
 BusyLizzie 05 Jun 2017
In reply to afshapes:

Oh ok got it. I have hairy feet but it doesn't cause a problem with running shoes, so i did wonder...
 Gone 05 Jun 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Hairy feet need better ventilated shoes so they don't overheat with the extra insulation. Hobbits should go for mesh rather than goretex.
 BusyLizzie 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Gone:

Thanks, I will keep that in mind
 Phil79 05 Jun 2017
In reply to afshapes:

> Ha ! Not too hairy actually Liz ! Wide and flat !

Flat as in you need arch support, or you prefer flatter/less supportive shoes? I've fairly wide and short feet and my Inov8 Roclites seem to have a nice wide toe box. Not very supportive sole though, but I like them.

I also have a pair of Brooks Cascadia which are very supportive in the arch area and very comfortable to run in, even though they are much tight fitting.

Regardless I'd echo what others have said - go to a good running shop, get some advice, try plenty on, then buy what feels most comfortable.
 mbh 05 Jun 2017
In reply to afshapes:

By your definition I too have hobbit feet. When I tried various Inov8s and Salomons on in running shops in Bristol and Birmingham I found them to be too tight. Mizoni shoes fit me very well and I have had three off-road pairs of Wave-this-or-that. But don't expect them to last. The uppers of each of the last two have sported big rips and holes after just 100 miles or so. Very disappointing. For several years I have used Brooks Adrenalines on roads, and increasingly on trails too. I first bought them in a proper running shop after trying them on, and ever since have bought them online in whichever hideous colour from last year is the cheapest.
 Michael Hood 05 Jun 2017
In reply to mbh: The real problem is that you find a shoe that's just right, and you run ok in it. And then you go to buy another pair when the first ones are getting on a bit, and the b*gg*rs have changed the design and it's just no good anymore, and you have to try on 300 different shoes until you find something similar. I've had this happen several times over the years and I still haven't remembered to buy a second pair as soon as I think my current pair are perfect.

This also applies to rock shoes of course.

And as for last year's colours, anyone who gets the latest colours rather than saving £10 isn't a real runner

OP afshapes 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Phil79:

I have flat arches. I've tried arch support but suffered knee problems. I tend to look for medium support and allow my foot to do what it needs to
OP afshapes 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

Yep gt2000 ! I'm on my 5th pair now. Scarpa vapour lace x3
I will head to a shop but was curious as to what people have tried.
Thanks for the replies
OP afshapes 06 Jun 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Probably helps with blisters having a fur coat!
 pyrrho101 06 Jun 2017
In reply to afshapes:

Not sure if this will be useful to you but...

I've always had problems with running shoes. The only shoes that don't cause me problems are GT-1000s. I definitely don't have flat and wide feet though.

Asics makes a sort-of trail equivalent called the Fujitrabuco. I've only run 50miles in them so far but my brief summary is: very similar to GT-1000 but a fair bit firmer. When(if?) they break in they could be perfect...for me.

https://www.milletsports.co.uk/product/blue-asics-gel-fujitrabuco-5-mens-tr...

Good luck.
OP afshapes 06 Jun 2017
In reply to pyrrho101:

Thanks !
 KevinJ 06 Jun 2017
In reply to afshapes:
I have a similar problem, with a high volume forefoot. I find the Asics GT2000 to be a decent fit as a road shoe. After much hunting around, the Mizuno Wave Kazan turned out to be a decent fit, as did the inov8 roclite.
I have also had some success with the Hoka Mafate Speed, although I did go up half a size.
I found the asics trail shoes to be a really poor fit for me, they seemed much narrower than the GT2000.
 airborne 07 Jun 2017
In reply to afshapes:

Shoes designed for ultra running are usually wider, to allow the foot to swell over longer distances. La Sportiva Akasha might work.
 tonanf 15 Jun 2017
In reply to airborne:

Altra lone peak. I got some. There great.
Martin Penrice 19 Jun 2017
In reply to afshapes:

I've been using new balance Leadville they seem a wide fit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...