Elan valley wild camping spots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hatbat 03 Jun 2017
Hi all, hoping for some advice...

I'm planning a long weekend in the Elan Valley next weekend, and taking my other half for her first wild camp. Can anyone recommend any good spots for wild camping? I had intended to go and do a recce but life got in the way!

Also considering a night in one of the bothies if I can stitch together a route that encompasses that. We'll be in the area late morning on Friday and staying 2 nights.

Thanks in advance
 Dave Williams 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Hatbat:

Heather and perennial molinia grasses will always be your enemy, but now you'll have bracken to contend with in many places too. Any of the summit areas - eg Drygarn Fawr - will be thankfully clear of bracken and will offer some camping opportunities (but usually with no nearby water) but other classic wild camp spots - eg by the stream in the upper Rhiwnant valley, won't be so clear and suitable pre-bracken spots may now be unuseable. I expect that the Teifi Pool lakes area will still have some good spots as will Llyn Cerrigllwydion Uchaf. If Clearddu bothy is busy, you could always pitch up outside. Lluest Cwm Bach bothy is bracken central and tends to be quite a popular little overnight spot too.

HTH

Dave
Moley 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Hatbat:

As Dave says, finding a flat, dry spot without bracken and molinia, with water nearby can be a problem - or take a lot of looking.
In the past I have camped here, just a matter of squeezing in between the tussocks, but these have been for solo fishing trips hence next to the lakes!
SN 830652. SN 803644. These are approximate and you may have to look about or even spot something better - it's a few years ago since I was there.
 timjones 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Hatbat:

We've found good spots on the ridge between Pont Ar Elan and Claerwen Farm in the past.

I would then be tempted to cross over to Teifi Pools before heading South to the bothy at Moel Prysgau for your second night.
Hatbat 03 Jun 2017
Hmm. Thanks for the feedback. Looks like more thinking is required.

Any thoughts on the Lluest Cwm Bach and Claerddu bothies? We'll have a tired dog with us.
Hatbat 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Hatbat:

Maybe we should be looking elsewhere for our first trip - any other suggestions within 3.5 hours of Bristol?
 Dave Williams 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Hatbat:

> Any thoughts on the Lluest Cwm Bach and Claerddu bothies?

Both are on the small side and both are popular. Claerddu is an Elan Valley Trust bothy, distinguished by a very un-MBA flush loo. It's surprisingly accessible - 10 mins tops - from a tarmac road and so attracts more than its fair share of the 'can't-or-won't-walk-far' brigade. Lluest Cwm Bach is far less accessible - and is probably the better for it - and consequently popular with the more serious bothyists. There's water right outside the door at Claerddu and you can pitch up at both if they're already full when you arrive.

The walking in the Elan Valley can be boggy in places and almost universally hard going (molinia again) if on untracked terrain or even on less well-used RoWs. However, in relative terms, it's a walk in the park compared to the Rhinogydd further north but harder work than the Brecon Beacons.

If you weren't totally fixated on the notion of a wild camping trip, then there's a 2 day circuit I could suggest that involves mainly walking on forestry tracks and good paths and overnighting in two MBA bothies - namely Nant Syddion and Nant Rhys - in an upland area not far to the NE of the Elan Valley. PM me if you (or the dog!!) want more info on this option.

Dave
Hatbat 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave Williams:

Thanks Dave. I had a rather splendid but hard going walk up Drygarn Fawr and Gorllwyn last year, 16 miles, 10 of which I'd describe as bog/tussock hopping. Only saw 3 people. Loved it. Think we do want to wild camp this time though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...