SplashMaps & custom silk maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GarethSL 02 Jun 2017

I was perusing the web looking for a company that could print some custom maps for me on silk when I came accross SplashMaps.

http://www.splash-maps.com/

Apparently they will print a 'washable and wearable' fabric map of your chosen area (I guess a little like the OS custom map maker).

Has anyone any experience with them?

On a side note... does anyone know where I could get my own maps printed onto silk and ideally maps of other countries? I have an entire collection of PDF geological maps A3 size that I was hoping to get printed on silk for fieldwork.

The only place I've come accross so far is https://burntpointlodge.com/pages/silk-topo-maps
Post edited at 13:05
 Luke90 02 Jun 2017
In reply to GarethSL:
I've got a Dartmoor splash-map. The printing is pretty clear but their mapping isn't as good as OS (though I guess some of the advantage OS has is simply familiarity). The actual area of fabric is quite small compared with a traditional map so they end up having to use quite a large scale to get decent coverage. It would be better if they could print on both sides of the material but you can see the print on the reverse side so I guess that's not an option.
Post edited at 14:10
In reply to GarethSL:
Only have one splash map at a 1:25000 scale that I've had for about 3 years. Bought for decorative purposes only as a reminder of an area I used to frequently visit, since it's uniquely different from just framing a paper map, thus not tested in the field nor washed, so can't comment on those aspects I'm sorry.

Print is as good as I expected (clear to read place names, etc, but not entirely sharp) given it's on fabric which itself feels strong and robust. My only slight negative is the printed orange colour of the contours in the really steep areas, which I should add mine contains lots of, is actually quite strongly saturated and I suppose could be a bit more subtle and toned down. Did always think about washing it to see if I could dull the orange a bit, but have accepted it for what it is!! That aside I have been very happy with it, and would certainly buy again if I wanted another area.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...