Laws on guiding non technical trekking in Europe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DVH 01 Jun 2017
Hey guys

I am currently working in my IML (International Mountain Leader) certification, but it is still absolutely unclear to me who is allowed to do what within Europe.

I would like to commercially guide hiking/trekking/snowshoeing/backcountry (type nordic cross country ski) trips and courses within Europe, but I have absolutely no idea where to find answers on what's (not) allowed by law.

Which countries make which demands regarding certifications? Especially the Alps, Pyrenees, Tatra's,...

There's a lot of protectionism and a lot of providers not answering these questions and I'm sure many of you have had them as well.

Hoping one of you can shed some light on this!
 jimtitt 01 Jun 2017
In reply to DVH:

The only place I know of that has any legal requirements is Tirol in Austria where you need their qualification, rest of Austria and in Germany it´ s up to you. You need to check whether you wander into terain where you need to be a mountain guide though which is generally more controlled.
 jon 01 Jun 2017
In reply to DVH:

You say 'I am currently working in my IML (International Mountain Leader) certification' Presumably you are therefore registered with with the appropriate body? Well, that's a good place to start.
 Mark Eddy 01 Jun 2017
In reply to DVH:

BAIML should be able to provide you with a clear answer.
 Doug 01 Jun 2017
In reply to jimtitt:

I don't know the details but the French authorities can be quite strict, I have friends who took a long time to get their qualifications accepted as equivalent to the French 'accompagnateur en moyenne montagne' (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accompagnateur_en_moyenne_montagne_en_France ) although I'm not sure of the legal position. I also suspect that you'll need a skiing qualification for xc skiing.
 jimtitt 01 Jun 2017
In reply to Doug:

It´ s always been a bit of a minefield, getting your qualifications accepted in another country when in reality you don´ t legally need any anyway. And not helped by the various guides associations etc all trying to protect their own little patch.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...