Synthetic sleeping bag for alpine routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Birks 30 May 2017
Hi, looking for some advice...

I'm looking for a synthetic sleeping bag for alpine bivvies for the summer. I'm allergic to down (even the hydrophobic) so was thinking the mountain equipment aurora range or any other recommendations?

Has to be small packing, lightweight and hopefully warm.

Thanks!
Luke
 ChrisH89 31 May 2017
In reply to Birks:

Mountain Hardware Lamina range are good. Can't recommend a specific model as my one is a heavyweight winter bag that would be overkill for summer alpine, but worth taking a look at them.
 shuffle 31 May 2017
In reply to Birks:

I've got a Mountain Hardwear Hyperlamina. It packs very small for a synthetic and is lightweight and warm. I spent ages trying to find a synthetic that had small pack size and this was definitely the best choice for me.

It is a fairly slim bag with a centre zip. I'm a slim but tall female and it is comfortable for me, but the bag may be a bit snug if you're taller and broader.
In reply to Birks:

I've used Climashield bags (like the Auroras) in some pretty harsh environments and they probably are the best synthetics on the market for warmth and durability. The only downside is that being continuous filament they don't pack down so well. It's always a trade off though, just depends what your priority is.
 andrewmc 31 May 2017
In reply to Birks:

My impression was that Lamina was pretty much the only word in synthetics but I could be wrong. Lamina Z is slightly heavier than the Hyperlamina (which I don't think is still available?) presumably due to full length zip. I bought a women's one (Laminina Z) a while ago as I am short enough to fit in a regular women's bag (womens long also available I think?) and the men's and women's bags were the same price for the same 'name' (think mine is the Flame) but the women's bags have more insulation in (roughly equivalent to a full grade e.g. women's Flame = men's Torch I think?).

I haven't had a chance to use it in anger though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...