Sherpa Science

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 30 May 2017
Some interesting research on the adaptions of Nepalese Sherpas to a low oxygen environment. I already knew about their larger capillary network, but this new research shows some genetic adaptions which allow their metabolism to be more efficient at burning sugars rather than fats, a process that requires less oxygen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40006803

and also

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0537nh9
UrbanRocker 31 May 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

Interesting that their haemoglobin level (if I understood correctly) is generally lower than the tested Europeans' average. I wonder if the same is true for other high-altitude populations?

Also an interesting counter to the trending 'carbs are bad' point of view.
In reply to UrbanRocker:

> Also an interesting counter to the trending 'carbs are bad' point of view.

It's not my area of expertise, but I understand that cellular glucose does not necessarily have to be produced from carbohydrates, it can be produced for example by gluconeogenesis. Of course this is moot unless you happen to share the Sherpa's genetic heritage...

kenr 02 Jun 2017

Very interesting.
Sea-level athletes who specialize in short-distance high-power-output race events tend to burn carbohydrates, especially glucose (rather than fat). Since oxygen delivery is a key limiter of short-distance race performance, I guess it makes sense that they favor the mode of metabolism which delivers more energy from less oxygen. A key goal of their long-term training program is to build up carbo-burning mitochondria and enzymes.

My guess is that what's special about many Sherpas is that their body strongly favors carbo-burning even in "long slow distance" performance -- where most sea-level athletes would switch to greater use of fat-burning - (and a long-term training program would try to build up fat-burning enzymes, and _storage_ of fat fuel inside or very close to propulsive muscle cells).

But sea-level athletes who go up to high altitude do not "learn" this carbo-favoring trick for "long slow distance" performance. Instead they just build up more red blood cells (which increases their rate of embolisms / blood clots) - and continue to favor burning fat.

As for "other populations", the article implies the native Tibetans do _not_ have the carbo-burning trick. My memory from other articles is that native Tibetans _do_ have higher Red Blood Cell count, but many of the also have a special blood genetics that somewhat protects them from embolisms / blood clots. Unlike Han Chinese who _move_ to Tibet, who do increase RBC significantly, but continue to lack the special embolism protection.

Ken
Post edited at 05:55

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...