Best OS mapping app for iphone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 metrorat 29 May 2017
Hi All,

Looking for recommendations of good OS mapping apps for iphone. I currently use UK Maps which is free but out of date and a bit clunky but provides a basic grid reference and gps position on 1:25k map. However it lacks the detail of proper OS 1:25k as it only uses the open source elements of the OS data which is essentially just the contour lines.

I'd like something a bit more featured, with perhaps the possibility to record tracks or plot a route but mostly I'd like the full OS mapping detail. What are people using?
 mbh 29 May 2017
In reply to metrorat:

Subscribe to OS Maps and you can download entire maps onto your phone. That's what I do. I plot routes on the laptop and sometimes sae them use them en route on the phone, but more usually I do it just for an idea of what might work.
 BobSlocum 08 Jun 2017
In reply to metrorat:

Very good experience of the Outdoors GB app on my iPhone 5s. The basic package for a few quid gives you all the National Parks at 1:50k. Large areas of OS 1:25k are reasonably priced, or there is the option of subscribing for a year which allows you to view 1:25k maps on your wifi at home, then access them offline when you are out and about. This works so well that I've found no need to download any OS maps at all. You can record your tracks, and plot routes on the Outdoors GB website (in full glorious 1:25k) , as well as download routes that others have posted (for free). My last subscription cost £10 which seems ludicrously good value.
In reply to BobSlocum:

I use outdoor gb too which is brilliant, plus the French version to find my car after getting lost in the forest at Font
 Y Gribin 08 Jun 2017
In reply to metrorat:

+2 for the Outdoors GB app. I've used it for years and now subscribe (download any maps as and when you need them for no extra cost). I did a like for like comparison with the OS maps in Scotland this winter. The OS app was more flakey and much heavier on battery life.
 nniff 09 Jun 2017
In reply to metrorat:

I like OS Maps. If you buy a paper map, you also get a code which allows you to download on off-line version to your phone so that it's always there. It plots your location on the map. If you get OS Locate that gives you grid refs, an a Silva compass looky-likey. I can't help thinking that you should be able to take a bearing off the map, but I've not worked out how. Both the apps are free.
 SouthernSteve 09 Jun 2017
In reply to metrorat:

I have Anquet OMN for historical reasons, and it works really well. But I am more than a little miffed that they do not have a viable Mac OSX product after years and years of beta testing – obviously completely under-resourced! The high quality 1:25000 is so good compared to say Route Buddy, but they just can't get their act together.
 ScraggyGoat 09 Jun 2017
In reply to metrorat:

Memory Map ok it costs more up front, but I have the whole of the UK at 1:50' on my phone. As I'm Scottish based I have no need for 1:25' scale to help navigate field boundaries ect on the way to the one hill. No need to worry about downloading sections you need. Thus can sit in my pack as a emergency back up map knowing I've got everything
 chris smith 09 Jun 2017
In reply to metrorat:

I use view ranger which is a great app and runs off GPS not signal (as do many i guess) but its great on battery life, put it in flight mode and it still works lasts numerous days on one charge. You do have to buy tiles for it tho so if your after a large area it can be costly.
 Dark-Cloud 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Y Gribin:

Outdoors GB here too, great little app, i use it for quick cross reference checks in bad vis when running instead of getting the map out.
 Smelly Fox 09 Jun 2017
In reply to metrorat:
Another vote for GB outdoors. Use it all the time, great app and easy to use.
 StuDoig 09 Jun 2017
In reply to metrorat:

A fair few friends have viewranger, and really rate it. I've got it on android and it's superb on that - guess it'll be of a similar quality on iphone.

Cheers

Stu
 Only a hill 09 Jun 2017
In reply to metrorat:

I've tried them all and ViewRanger remains the most flexible and powerful. Downsides: there is a learning curve, buying tiles for a large area can be expensive, and recent updates have added dubious new features such as augmented reality and a social feed. Even with these disasvantages, however, it remains several cuts above the other apps mentioned in this thread (IMHO).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...