Ridiculous parking charge extortion advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simon kimber 26 May 2017
Hi
Bit of a long and complicated story this, but I really need some advice on this!

Last year I parked my car up at Park Hill in Sheffield, went away for the weekend and came back to find a private car park company (SIP Parking) had erected a "No Parking" Sign and slapped a ticket on my car while I was away. As they're a private company, I followed the standard procedure of ignoring all correspondence with them until they went away, which they apparently did.

Many many months later I received a letter from the courts saying that a claim had been lodged against me. I duly filled in the defence form explaining the situation and sent it back. Then I received another letter from the coutrs saying that SIP's solicitors (Gladstones) were still going ahead with the claim and I needed to return another defecnce form within 7 days. Unfortunately this occured over Easter so I was not around to return the form on time, resulting in the judgement defaulting in their favour, and a bill of £258 to pay! WTF! Now, I can lodge an appeal, but to do so will cost me £255, and by the time it even gets looked at I'll have ended up with a CCJ on my record, which I really don't want as I gather they're a pain to remove.

It all smacks of an elaborate scam, what with timing it so important documents need to be returned very quickly at a time when many people are away, and the total amount claimed approximately equalling the cost of an appeal.

I really don't want to pay, because A- I shouldn't have to and B- I don't have a spare £250 knocking about! I'm quite keen to avoid a CCJ if at all possible. Should I just pay up now and file a claim against them later to attempt to get it back? Should I go to the police (it amounts to theft at the end of the day)

Can anyone offer any advice on what to do next?
 Timmd 26 May 2017
In reply to simon kimber:

Can you prove there was no 'No Parking' sign there when you parked?
 spartacus 26 May 2017
The standard practice of ignoring all correspondence from private parking firms has changed position of late.

The courts will find in favour of these company's and in your case have done so. Pay up and save appeal money. You have court judgment against you.
OP simon kimber 26 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I don't see how I could, short of taking photograph every time I park my car just in case! Google street view shows that there are no No Parking signs in the vicinity, although the last timestamp is about a year previous.

Similarly, they can't prove a sign was in place at the time I parked my vehicle and walked away from it.
OP simon kimber 26 May 2017
In reply to Dorchester:

> The standard practice of ignoring all correspondence from private parking firms has changed position of late.

Yeah, so it seems!
 FactorXXX 26 May 2017

I don't see how I could, short of taking photograph every time I park my car just in case! Google street view shows that there are no No Parking signs in the vicinity, although the last timestamp is about a year previous.
Similarly, they can't prove a sign was in place at the time I parked my vehicle and walked away from it.

I would hope that all such No Parking areas are registered somewhere - probably the Local Council. If so, ask them to tell you if the No Parking restrictions were in place at the time of the incident.
 balmybaldwin 26 May 2017

Can you "prove" you were away from when you parked.... i.e. plane tickets, booking into hotel/campsite miles away. photos from trip etc?

Speak to council/SIP re when no parking restriciton was put in place.

Was this a public road? if so I can't imagine why a prvate company are involved. if Private then you'll have to rely on SIPs records
 Timmd 26 May 2017

> .Similarly, they can't prove a sign was in place at the time I parked my vehicle and walked away from it.

But the courts believe them (in effect), which amounts to the same thing at the mo.

Jamie Wakeham 26 May 2017

Honestly - you're on the wrong forum. Go to PePiPoo and get some advice from the experts. I suspect this is beatable, with some effort, but you're going to need help from people who know the system.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...