Bivvy on mam tor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 edhawk21 26 May 2017
Planning on a doing a spot of summer bivvying a in a couple of nights but after some googleing it seems that not many people have camped on mam tor. Why is this?
 spenser 26 May 2017
In reply to edhawk21:

Probably because it's a 10-15 minute walk from the car park. There was a spot further along the ridgeline at Lose Hill which looked reasonable for the purposes of a wild camp when I walked along the ridgeline in February.
 Brass Nipples 26 May 2017
In reply to edhawk21:

Because it'd be a bit like camping in your back garden and the preserve of 12 year olds.

Removed User 26 May 2017
In reply to edhawk21:

Because it'll be chock full of youth smoking bifters and cranking Stella due to proximity to the road?
 leon 1 26 May 2017
In reply to Removed User:
Because it'`ll also be full of early morning Tilley hatted rambler groups tutting at you for the mess left behind by youth smoking bifters and Stella bottles
But mostly because its a shitty place to bivvy
Post edited at 17:36
Clauso 26 May 2017
In reply to edhawk21:

It's because it has an extraordinary microclimate, that guarantees you will spend the night feeling freezing cold even in summer: hence why it's also known as the Shivering Mountain.
Removed User 26 May 2017
In reply to leon 1:
Had that experience bivving at Castell Helen once. Woke up on a bed of (my own) Stella tins to the sound of tutting twitchers.
Post edited at 17:48
 Billhook 26 May 2017
In reply to edhawk21:

Perhaps its not something they like boasting about on social media. Its hardly in the same league as bivvying on the North Face of the Eiger.
 Dave the Rave 26 May 2017
In reply to edhawk21:

> Planning on a doing a spot of summer bivvying a in a couple of nights but after some googleing it seems that not many people have camped on mam tor. Why is this?

It is the site of many reported alien abductions as is the rest o the High Peaks.
Lots of abandoned tents and missing folk.
 Fredt 26 May 2017
In reply to edhawk21:

> Planning on a doing a spot of summer bivvying on mam tor. Why is this?

Fixed that for you.

Brass Nipples 27 May 2017
In reply to edhawk21:

In other news, man wild camps in pub garden

wilkesley 27 May 2017
In reply to Removed User:

I was fast asleep in my bivi bag in the car park above the light house when some children asked what was the blue bag doing there. According to Jungle, who was awake in the car next to it, the mother said "Don't touch it, I think there is someone in it!".
 Chris Murray 27 May 2017
In reply to Clauso:

I was led to believe that it's called that because bits of it keep falling down?
 ThunderCat 27 May 2017
In reply to Le Chevalier Mal Fet:
> I was led to believe that it's called that because bits of it keep falling down?

"Set sarcasm filter to 'off', Mr Spock"
Post edited at 18:55
 ThunderCat 27 May 2017
In reply to edhawk21:

> Planning on a doing a spot of summer bivvying a in a couple of nights but after some googleing it seems that not many people have camped on mam tor. Why is this?

Apparently it was popular camping site in the iron age.
 ThunderCat 27 May 2017
In reply to edhawk21:

Piss taking aside, you should get over there and have a look at mam tor and the area around it.
It's beautiful. Winnats pass is impressive and there is loads of walking and exploring to get done.

I think you'll quickly realise why no one bivvies there however. You'd be more remote if you set up tent in a macdonalds car park.
OP edhawk21 30 May 2017
In reply to edhawk21:

To be honest I wasn't really looking for remoteness. just to sit and watch the sunrise and sunset. The reason why I thought about this is because I can get there in two hours from home so I can get there one evening after work . in a ideal world I would be in the alps of on some scary north face or in remote Scotland.
 ThunderCat 30 May 2017
In reply to edhawk21:
> To be honest I wasn't really looking for remoteness. just to sit and watch the sunrise and sunset.

Just be aware that there's a big period of darkness and not much else in between those two events. there is also a rather steep drop off one side of mam tor.

Maybe get a bed and breakfast in Castleton? It's stumbling distance from there.

Edited-actually if it's between sunrise and sunset you're bivvying, I should have said ' big period of daylight '
Post edited at 10:45
 Rob Parsons 30 May 2017
In reply to edhawk21:

> ... in a ideal world I would be in the alps of on some scary north face ...

You can combine the two ideas by bivvying on the east face of Mam Tor ...

OP edhawk21 30 May 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

is that even possible? haha it would definitely be a scary north face bivvy
Lusk 30 May 2017
In reply to edhawk21:

Batter in a scaff pole and dangle off that
 ThunderCat 30 May 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> You can combine the two ideas by bivvying on the east face of Mam Tor ...

According to recent reports, (disputed by Local officials and climbing guides however), the Hilary Step has collapsed and is no longer there. Bivvying on the east face is now no longer possible

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...