Smoke Damage cleaning of 'pricey' Gore Tex outfit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Donotello 26 May 2017
In early April, a large, toxic Polystyrene fire from a neighbouring demolition yard popped the top windows of my house out and filled the place with thick black smoke. While every single item in the house needed dusting, and every item of clothing washing, we eventually got it all sorted.

However, a week previous i had splashed out on a very pricey Gore Tex outfit for potential snow trips, an impulse purchase you could say. I couldn't simply toss this in the wash, it has some white areas and some patches with white stitching, as well as the original tags (I may end up selling it unused one day, who knows)

So point being, does anyone know of a company that could dry clean the above outfit of its sooty layer? Despite some minor insurance help i couldn't buy them again as they were limited edition. I'd rather a recommendation from a peer than just a google link.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!
Rigid Raider 26 May 2017
In reply to Donotello:

Does the care label recommend dry cleaning? I'd have thought washing or dry cleaning will remove the waxes or silicons or whatever, which give the outer water repellency to the textile. This deteriorates over time anyway and the waterproofing comes from the Goretex layer even when the textile is wetted. I'd have thought that washing as per the instructions then re-proofing would take the garments back fairly close to their new condition.
 GarethSL 26 May 2017
In reply to Donotello:

As its new, the DWR coating to the face fabric should still be pretty effective, a quick cold water rinse in the shower should be sufficient.

Is it soot covered? How exposed was it?

If it was not indirect contact with smoke or soot then I imagine you can easily get away wiyth a quick rinse and a good airing.
Rigid Raider 26 May 2017
In reply to Donotello:

The problem is that the polymer will have absorbed the smell of smoke and the garment might smell so much as to be unwearable. Only washing and airing will remove the tars and the smell.
 Neil Williams 26 May 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:
You can wash and re-proof Gore Tex generally, though follow the care label.

Being a Scout Leader I often end up with my waterproofs stinking of fire, and I just put them in the washing machine and they come out good as new.

I doubt there is any process that would preserve the tags, though. Is it possible to carefully remove and reattach? I think however your chance of reselling "as new" is sadly lost.
Post edited at 11:05
OP Donotello 26 May 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

Thanks, yes i think i'll just do this. I was just worried about the white parts not coming out pristine. Thankfully there isn't any smell any more as it's been 'aired' for a good 2 months.
Removed User 27 May 2017
In reply to Donotello:
To be honest, the best thing to do would really be to contact the manufacturer. They are the best source of advise, more so than people on an online forum who can probably just guess what smoke does to Gore-Tex

I had a problem getting some stains out of my hardshell once, so I contacted Arc'teryx and got an exhaustive and detailed reply in response, suggesting several different options I could try.
Post edited at 23:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...