Smart-looking (possibly zip-off) trousers, high cotton %

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 23 May 2017
I may be looking for the impossible here!

I hope to find a pair of convertible (i.e. zip off to make shorts) trousers that aren't mainly synthetic/polyester and that don't look terribly "sporty".

They aren't for rough-and-tough hiking etc - they are for less active trips to hot countries, where I might be doing a bit of tramping around town but also want to look "smart"

I had some (random purchase from charity shop) that I thought fit the bill until last week when they felt awfully clammy and I checked and saw that they were 40% polyester.

I may compromise on the zip-off aspect. I looked at a pair of Kuhl Kontra Air trousers last night which might do the job, although they are bit too light beige Something darker would be nice.

As I said, I may be looking for the impossible
 LastBoyScout 23 May 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Aren't "zip off" and "smart" mutually exclusive?

Surely a pair of cotton/linen chinos from somewhere would fit the bill? I've had something similar to what you're after from places like White Stuff and Fat Face before.
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Aren't "zip off" and "smart" mutually exclusive?

You aren't the first to ask that question with almost the exact phrasing

I don't mean "smart" as "go out in a posh restaurant", but more in terms of "would get away with them in an office/lab work environment without looking like you're trying to look gnarly and outdoorsy"
Think "geography teacher in Rohan trousers with 800 pockets on them", but better

> Surely a pair of cotton/linen chinos from somewhere would fit the bill? I've had something similar to what you're after from places like White Stuff and Fat Face before.

You are probably right, I maybe got hung up on the convertible aspect.

webbo 23 May 2017
It's not a case of looking outdoorsy it more a case of looking a right tw@t.
In reply to webbo:

I had covered that with "looking like you're trying to look gnarly"
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks, I stopped overthinking and just walked to TK Max near my house and bought some quite nice thin cotton chinos for £13

Just need some leather elbow patches for my sports jacket now ????

The "????" was meant to be some sort of hilarious smiley emoticon posted from my iPhone, obviously as a graphical icon it didn't come through on UKC and I guess "????" is the code for it.

Lest anyone think me hypocritical about posting statements with question marks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...