REVIEW: MSR Access 2 Tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 23 May 2017
Access 2 tent montage, 4 kbBilled as a light-but-strong two-person shelter for North American winter ski touring, MSR's Access 2 has obvious year-round crossover into the UK hills too, finds Richard Prideaux.

Read more
 67hours 23 May 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Looks like an improvement on the Hubba Hubba with a supporting pole for the awkward middle piece to stop the sides bowing in so much in the wind.
 aharbey 24 May 2017

I've got one and have only managed to get away for an overnighter in the Brecon Beacons so far, along with pitching it in the garden a couple of times. I have supplemented the pegs with some extras so that I can pitch out the whole thing in case of bad weather, but if the forecast was good then I'd probably leave them at home for the weight saving. Very happy overall with it - easy to pitch and fast as well. If it's raining then you'd just have to set it up as quick as possible (practice helps!), but the inner is windproof so will have some level of water resistance compared to a tent with a lot more mesh.

I went for the more subtle green colour and it does blend in rather nicely by comparison. The longer second pole for more support compared to a Hubba Hubba is welcome and the design gives plenty of headroom. Only had myself sleeping in it but I can't see a problem for 2 people. Had a little condensation on the inner and flysheet, but nothing compared to previous tents and it dried very quickly spread over my car seats on the way home.

Price is an obvious issue, and I did go for the footprint as well to help the inner last longer, but I think it's worth the investment for 3-season weight with 4-season strength. It could be seen as an upgrade from a Hubba Hubba or similar for those wanting to be a bit more adventurous but not wanting to compromise on weight. Looking around the tent I can only see features that I'd use - nothing in there for the sake of it.

Finally, the middle pole really can be bent almost into a full circle, with the tips crossing each other really demonstrating just how much wind they'll be able to take. I'm looking forward to many adventures in the future with mine and can thoroughly recommend it.
 Graham 24 May 2017

here's another (mostly conflicting) review of the access 2: https://www.outsideonline.com/2110771/we-climbed-mt-baker-test-msrs-new-mou...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...