Summer mountain trousers with good stretch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 asteclaru 22 May 2017

So basically I'm after some summer walking trousers. I need them to be stretchy, light enough for warm summer days and reasonably durable. The demise of all my trousers (not just soft shell, but jeans, suit trousers, everything) so far seems to be pilling and subsequent tear of the crotch, so a reinforced seat would be good, but it's not a deal breaker if they don't have one.

At the moment I'm using Mountain Hardwear Chockstone that I really like because they're very stretchy, but they are too warm for summer walking so I overheat in them. I've also bought some Montane Terra Pants, that from what I've read should be light enough for the summer, but they're not quite as stretchy as I'd like.

Is there anything that would combine the two : get the stretch of the Chockstones and the lightness of the Terras? Budget would be up to £75.

Thanks,

Ben
Post edited at 18:37
 HeMa 22 May 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

Montura Vertigos or Vertigo Lights...
 nathan79 22 May 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

Decathlon Quechua Forclaz 500. Comfortable, stretchy, nice and light for summer and bargains at £29.99. Two pairs for within your budget.
In reply to nathan79:

Agreed. This year's model has dropped the zipped pockets for simple, jeans style pockets, though. I recently picked up a pair of last year's model for £20. Wearing them now...

An alternative might be the Simond Rock Pants, also Decathlon, but pushing the boat out at £35... Very stretchy, but close fitting.
Post edited at 22:49
 bpmclimb 23 May 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

Montane Terras come in a stretch version.
aultguish 23 May 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

......Ron Hills.
In reply to asteclaru:

Shorts

Not trying to be a smart arse, but I much prefer walking in shorts in any weather I can get away with it unless walking through rough undergrowth. Skin is fast drying, self repairing if scuffed and free. I much prefer the feeling of being completley unencumbered. Don't worry I do stop at shorts.

Some proper walking shorts can be pretty expensive but still cheaper than longs. Lots of places that you can get cheap shorts that will last pretty well.
 GrahamD 23 May 2017
In reply to aultguish:

> ......Ron Hills.

Two pairs for that money. And it's actually a serious suggestion.
 Kirill 23 May 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

> Two pairs for that money. And it's actually a serious suggestion.

or 7 pairs of these
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-dry-trousers-id_8151059.html
 GrahamD 23 May 2017
In reply to Kirill:

None of the style cache of Ron Hills though
 ClayClay 23 May 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

Ron Hill Tracksters are basically the best option on nearly every metric except for style. I own two pairs.
 Jim Braid 23 May 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

Another vote for Ron Hills. Also got a pair of Paramo Malabar trousers last year which have done me well so far.

http://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/product/?pk=B79B7484-FD3...

Advertised on Paramo website for £60 but available on Amazon for under £50.
 afx22 23 May 2017
In reply to asteclaru:
I'm a fan of the Rab Vertex trousers. I have three pairs and they get used a lot for hiking scrambling and bouldering (indoors and outdoors).

They have 4 way stretch and come in short, regular and long leg lengths. They go for about £60-£65. They're a superlight softshell type material and in my view, are surprising tough. My oldest pair must be 3 years old.

I run hot so get on best with the lightest clothing. These fit the bill, for me.
Post edited at 12:47
 wilkesley 23 May 2017
In reply to nathan79:

Just how tight around the legs are these? I like my trews to be at least a bit loose around the thighs. The last pair of Decathlons I tried on were more like Ron Hills than trousers and I am tall with thin legs.
 wbo 23 May 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

Mountain equipment Comici are variously on sale
 galpinos 23 May 2017
In reply to wbo:

> Mountain equipment Comici are variously on sale

.........and are brilliant.
 Billhook 23 May 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

HS28

No idea who makes them but for £40 they're the best summer trousers I've owned. Stretchy, Very cool, - and winddproof, still shedding rain after a year of use,. elasticated waist, zipped pockets X3 plus another on the leg. Charcoal in colour. They are pretty light too.
 Billhook 23 May 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

HS28

No idea who makes them but for £40 they're the best summer trousers I've owned. Stretchy, Very cool, - and winddproof, still shedding rain after a year of use,. elasticated waist, zipped pockets X3 plus another on the leg. Charcoal in colour. They are pretty light too.
In reply to asteclaru:

Craghopper Kiwi Pro, light and very stretchy. They do a few models and have a wide range of sizing and lengths.
 nathan79 24 May 2017
In reply to wilkesley:

They're a slimmer fit to me, but I'm a fairly beefy thighed chap. My hill pairs are tight on me, . I also have a size larger for everyday wear, but am told by my colleagues they are still rather tight.
izzznet 24 May 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

Another vote for Rab Vertex. Got mine for £30, but should be able to pick up for £45. Couple of reviews:
http://scottishmountaineer.com/rab-vertex-pants-review/
http://scramblekit.uk/review/index.php?id=outdoor&post=rab-vertex-pants...

Seem very light at first - ended using in everything but winter.
OP asteclaru 25 May 2017

Thank you all for chipping in. Loads of suggestions to go through.

Incidentally, I've just received a pair of Rab Fulcrum that I got very cheaply (I think they were around £35) in a sale (don't know if it's allowed to post the store's name - might be considered advertising by the mods). They are exactly what I need, very light and stretchy, but the ankle cuff is very very slim, so they don't go over my boots. As such, the search continues.

Many thanks again
Post edited at 09:28
 More-On 25 May 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

If the fulcrum fitted with the exception of the cuff try the RAB sawtooth. I've never paid more than £35 for mine, just hunt out last year's colours...
OP asteclaru 25 May 2017
In reply to More-On:

Yes, everything fits perfectly apart from the ankle cuffs. I'll look up the Sawtooths. Thanks for the suggestion
 GrantM 25 May 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

Another vote for the Craghoppers Kiwi pro stretch, you can pick them up for £30 and there are different leg lengths available. I wear these in preference to Montane Terras because they're stretchy and cheaper to replace if they get ripped.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...