Hillary step destroyed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 21 May 2017
wonder if it'll change the grade?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39989992
 cragrat 21 May 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

Maybe it will stop the influx of wealthy tourists nipping up the mountain? If so, that would probably be good for the mountain- less litter and erosion, but worse for Nepal- less income.
In reply to cragrat:

What makes you think it will be harder?, from the pictures i have seen it looks easier, more of a broken slope. In reality probably less of a bottleneck...let the human caterpillar commence!
 Niblet 21 May 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

RIP the Hillary step. Let that part be known from here on out as the Norgay ramp.
 Trangia 21 May 2017
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

> What makes you think it will be harder?, from the pictures i have seen it looks easier, more of a broken slope. In reality probably less of a bottleneck...let the human caterpillar commence!

Can you give some links to the pics please?
 Trangia 21 May 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:
Undoubtedly if it is a problem for the "circus" ascents, someone will install a fixed ladder? Or maybe even a lift?

In view of the huge amounts of money involved, no doubt an alternative means of getting fee paying clients up will be up and running long before the BMC installs a bridge or renewed step for the jump onto the Isolated Buttress at Harrisons!
Post edited at 19:54
Lusk 21 May 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

"Hillary step destroyed"

Bugger, that's another (part of a) route I'm never going to do now.
 Trangia 21 May 2017
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

Thanks. It is still quite difficult to tell from the photo, but as you say Tim says it's made it easier although possibly more dangerous due to unstable blocks on the route.
 1poundSOCKS 21 May 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

Can they glue it back on?
 Chris the Tall 21 May 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

Don't understand the BBC comment that it could be easier but more of a bottleneck? Their misunderstanding or mine?

I doubt if the circus will be affected at all
In reply to wilkie14c:

Not surprised it was destroyed. Trump probably couldn't face Hillary's bad step being more famous than his wall.
MarkJH 21 May 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Don't understand the BBC comment that it could be easier but more of a bottleneck? Their misunderstanding or mine?I doubt if the circus will be affected at all

According to reports there used to be an ascent route and a descent route past the step. However, if the rubble is unstable, then it may be only possible to fix one route and people would need to wait until it was clear of people moving in the opposite direction.
Annoying Twit 22 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:
> Can you give some links to the pics please?

http://www.markhorrell.com/wp-content/uploads/HillaryStepDavidLiano.jpg

Not the exact photos you asked for, but it shows the changes.
Post edited at 05:40
 Chris Sansum 22 May 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

I blame the 14 Peaks Challenge.
In reply to wilkie14c:
Just heard on Radio 4 that someone in Nepal (I didn't hear the first part, so don't know who the subject was) is denying the claims that it's fallen, and that it could just be snowed over...
Post edited at 13:38
OP wilkie14c 22 May 2017
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

or worn away due to traffic?!
 Arete 22 May 2017
In reply to Annoying Twit:

Does it though? To me that just looks like a different angle and different amount of snow. News this morning reporting that Sherpas are denying it, saying that there is just more snow than usual covering it this year. I'll wait until the reality surfaces but I'm not yet convinced the initial report is true.
 Greasy Prusiks 22 May 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:
Pretty obvious what's happened...

..some bastards gone and chipped it.
 Olaf Prot 22 May 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Apparently Gary Gibson has already got three new routes on it!
 Greasy Prusiks 22 May 2017
In reply to Olaf Prot:

Probably wandering around basecamp with his chip and pin machine looking for 'bolt fund' donations as we speak.
Annoying Twit 22 May 2017
In reply to Arete:

> Does it though? To me that just looks like a different angle and different amount of snow. News this morning reporting that Sherpas are denying it, saying that there is just more snow than usual covering it this year. I'll wait until the reality surfaces but I'm not yet convinced the initial report is true.

OK then, change that to 'it shows the CLAIMED changes'.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...