Meanwhile on Everest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Lopez 20 May 2017
Killian Jornet is going for it.

22km+ of boulders, scree and moraine and 1500m vertical to Everest ABC, keep going for another vertical 2400m to the summit without oxygen, support, or fixed lines, only to run back down again past ABC and straight on to the finishing line at Rongbuk where he started...

My sofa is feeling damn comfortable right now!
 James_Kendal 20 May 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Anywhere we can get live info?
OP Mr Lopez 20 May 2017
In reply to James_Kendal:

Not that i know of, and i did have a good search as well. Kind of dissapointed, what with it being the Everest circus and all.

He should be well past ABC and on his way to the summit by now if everything is going ok, as he's been on the go for 8 hours, specially considering his times in the training run 5 days ago.
 JamButty 20 May 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

so he's only really running a marathon then...

In reply to Mr Lopez:

Oh Yeah!!, saw this on facebook earlier, really rooting for him.
 James_Kendal 20 May 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

There is more background about the project / route / style here:

http://everest.summitsofmylife.com/
 Pete Houghton 21 May 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

I wish him the very best of luck. God speed dude, and play safe.
 James_Kendal 21 May 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

There is an update on here http://blog.summitsofmylife.com/

"Latest News – Seb Montaz is back at Advanced Base Camp (6,500m) as planned. He was with Kilian at around 7,500 metres as Kilian was continuing his ascent. Seb reports that Kilian was in good shape and weather conditions seemed good. He is now waiting for Kilian to return to Advanced Base Camp. We will post an update as soon as there is more news!"
OP Mr Lopez 21 May 2017
In reply to James_Kendal:

Sweet. Updates have been thin on the ground for sure. There's an unconfirmed update from (supposedly) his family which says he's on the way down and nearly at ABC. No mention of summit or not. If he made it and that's true he's taken 25 hours so far, and he will still be looking at running a farther 20 somethnig kilometers down to Rongbuk for which he'll have to run right through a load of tents with people lounging in the sun brewing tea and eating nice food... How tempting will that be? Ha, ha
 StefanB 22 May 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

This update posted by his father seems to have been mistaken.

Some Italian and Spanish facebook feeds are reporting that he is descending slowly and that Seb Montaz has gone up again to help.
 StefanB 22 May 2017
In reply to StefanB:

Now confirmed to be back safely at ABC
OP Mr Lopez 22 May 2017
In reply to StefanB:

Yes! Thank f**k for that. There was a lot of worrying through the night from the lack of news for such a long time. Bet his mother in particular won't be letting him go anywhere farther than the corner shop without a satellite phone from now on.

"[EXPEDITION UPDATE]
Kilian Jornet reached the summit of Everest at midnight of 21st to 22nd May (local time) in a single climb without the help of oxygen or fixed ropes.

He reached the summit via the north face of the world’s highest mountain (8,848m) following the traditional route. Kilian Jornet began the challenge at Everest Base Camp Base near the ancient Rombuk monastery (5,100m) on May 20 at 22h local time (+5:45 GMT).

At 12h15 local time of May 22nd he is back in the Advanced Base Camp (6,500m) where he confirmed summiting Everest at midnight, 26 hours after beginning the ascent.

38 hours after starting the temptative, he has arrived to the Advanced Base Camp of Everest, he explained: “Until I reached 7.700m I felt good and was going according to my planning, but there I started to feel stomachache, I guess due to an estomach virus. From there I have moved slowly and stopping every few steps to recover. However, I made it to the summit at midnight”.

Due to this indisposition, Kilian Jornet choses to conclude the attempt, and stay in the Advanced Base Camp and not returning to the Rongbuk as planned.

Once we have more information about the challenge, we will inform through the channels of Summits of My Life.
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Shame he felt off. Still, a ground-up oxygen free ascent of Everest is pretty impressive!
 john arran 22 May 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

I always suspected he was an android, but getting infected with "an estomach virus" makes me wonder whether he was hacked by the Russians!

OP Mr Lopez 22 May 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> Shame he felt off.

I wouldn't discount him just yet. Rumour has it that if he recovers from this outing and the food poisoning on time he wants to give it another go before it's time to head back home. FML
In reply to Mr Lopez:
It would be good to see what he is capable of, his acclimatisation blast to 8400m from ABC in around 6hrs really showed how quick he is, Hans Kammerlander* has done ABC to summit in 16hrs i think, this is the record set in 1996?.

PS.* without supplementry oxygen of course.
Post edited at 18:26
 leon 1 29 May 2017
In reply to steveriley:
Also
http://blog.summitsofmylife.com/
Post edited at 14:17
 nufkin 29 May 2017
In reply to steveriley:

It's not clear from that, unless I'm misreading - did he go from each side, within a week?
 leon 1 29 May 2017
In reply to nufkin: both times from the N side

Gone for good 29 May 2017
In reply to leon 1:

Remarkable achievement.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...