Patagonia Ascensionist - 30L?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 20 May 2017
I've noticed recently that the Patagonia Ascensionist, previously available in 25L, 35L and 45L sizes is now advertised as being 20L, 30L and 40L. Has the actual size of the pack actually changed, or are they now somehow measuring it differently?
 Jim Walton 20 May 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

I have the 30L pack, bought earlier this year. It's a great sack with one major downfall.

The pack size is great for a full days cragging and I'm taking it to the Alps this year where I shall expect it to perform well. The Fabric is strong, the intergrated lid/closure system works well, the top pocket is big enough and it comes without any bells and whistles.

The downfalls. It doesn't come with any compression straps, you have to make you're own. The loops that are pre-stricted on seem to be designed for the 'G' Hook buckle (which is on the main strap) which Patagonia don't sell. Luckily, for me, I had a pair of 'G' Hook buckles from a set of sea to summit Accessory straps (about £12.00) that I cut down to make work.

The main downfall is the main lid closing strap. The end is not stiched down. It is designed to be able to be removed so that it can be attached higher up the pack if the pack is 'overloaded'. The attachment method is an oversized metal bar at the base of the strap that is fed through a loop stitched onto the pack. The metal bar is longer than the opening in the loop so shouldn't get pulled through. This is actually not the case. The bar is only about 4mm wider than the opening in the loop and the bar is easily popped through the opening when under normal tension. Thus my pack is continually coming open. It's a pain in the arse and I think I'll be stitching the strap permanently to the pack.
OP tehmarks 20 May 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Interesting, I guess they did redesign and downsize it, as the 35L had compression straps. Think I might have to find somewhere stocking the old 35L then!
In reply to tehmarks:

I have a 35L in orange that I would sell, PM me if this interests you.
 Pipecleaner 21 May 2017
In reply to Jim Walton:

I've got the old 35 and absolutely love it. Great for walking, climbing and running.
Only thing ive noticed is when very empty the g buckle has a tendency to open...ive threaded some elastic cord onto the daisy loops to enhance the compression and this works pretty well.

One update that i didnt like the look of n the new bags was changing the ice tool attatcment. On e old bag theres a simple sleeve and buckle for the head of the axe...its really good as you can pop the buckle and take the axe out without taking the bag off...a small thing but great when you want to keep moving fast.

New one apparently has a non slip back tho id have to try it to see if its a good or bad thing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...