Bivvy bag choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GHawksworth 19 May 2017
Without looking at costs, which do people think is a better bivvy for lightweight mountain use, Alpkit Hunka XL or Rab Storm Bivi? Can anyone think of any other large and breathable bags? I thought about the army one but too bulky.

Cheers.
 TobyA 19 May 2017
In reply to GHawksworth:

Recently got a Hunka, used it the other weekend and didn't think it was particularly breathable. I'm interested in what other Hunka users think.
 troybison 19 May 2017
In reply to GHawksworth:

I've got a Rab Survival Zone Lite. Minimal design: no zip, just a drawstring. Plenty big enough for me & I'm 6ft.
Weighs 224g made of Pertex Endurance fabric. Packs very small: 25 x 11cm
Good for summer alpine bivvying, I'd say. Haven't had experience of it in heavy rain. The fabric is v. thin so I don't expect it to be very hard-wearing, but that's a trade-off with weight. Not had a problem with condensation so far.
 Billhook 19 May 2017
In reply to GHawksworth:

Just buy an ex military one. They're Goretex, and made for hard wear and for use in all sorts of conditions.

My experience of non military ones, is you spend ages avoiding anything bad happening toward your super lightweight, alpine, high altitude GTX commercial one and wishing you'd bought an ex army one for £20 to £30.
 Pipecleaner 20 May 2017
In reply to GHawksworth:
Ive got a hunka and absolutely love it. Really tough, not stupidly heavy. Ive never really had a problem with its breathability.
Used it summer and scottish winter and id recommend it to anyone...its great value too!
 london_huddy 20 May 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

I've got the same but it's heavy compared to my other half's hunka. But it's bombproof and totally waterproof. Just need a midge net adding and it'd be perfect.
 Siward 21 May 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

Agree. I have a dutch army, air permeable goretex bag, with zip. It's made for bivvying in, in the mud, and tough, and it really breathes. It weighs in at about a kilo but, frankly, that's light enough for planned bivvys.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...